Why do mexican parents get special parent meetings?

My son is first grade and I always see 'mexican parent meetings' on school flyers, on the billboard thats on the sidewalk of his elementary school. Im just very curious as to why that is. Why do they get special meetings? I dont see Indian parent meetings, russian parent meetings, Vietnamese parent meeting, etc. I wonder what would happen if there was ever a white/caucasian parent meeting? I know that would never happen. Whats w/ this double standard?

kahala

Asked by kahala at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Perhaps it's for Spanish speaking parents? If so, that is racist to just say "Mexican."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I've never seen that before, would be interested to know why too...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• maybe their are alot of them and they need a smaller mtg due to the language barrier. Maybe they have to ask more questions cause they dont understand..idk but Im sure it is not racist.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• <):o{l)
    hehe, if you turn it sideways it's a mexican with a sombrero...hehe
    Anonymous

• So the school can have an interpreter come in and help with communication barriers.
    Anonymous

• Im not sure its a double standard, in my area they have separate meetings for spanish speaking peoples (not just mexican and we have a lot of latinos/hispanics around here) so that they can arrange for a translator. It may be that you have a large contingent of non-english speaking hispanics in your school and they need special accomodations. or they may be trying to set up a support group for these parents that dont speak english to be able to better help their children with school work and such!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• OMGosh! I love the sombrero guy! Genious! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Not all Mexicans need interpreters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Duh anon 11:41 !! jeez, that's the most intelligent thing i've heard all day! And they have mexican meetings because MOST of them cannot speak english and they do have to arrange for an interpretur.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• "MOST of them cannot speak english " ....

I've seen and heard better grammar from the English language out of foreigners then so called natives. We're all foreigners. I myself am a 4th generation Mexican. I guess I'm required to have an interpreter since "most" of us need one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2009