Is it wrong to want another baby even though money is already tight?

I have a 21 month old and i am itching for another baby. Its not totally impossible for us to afford another little one but my husband says we should wait til we can afford a baby. My mom says, "if we waited to have kids when we could afford it you and your sisters wouldnt be here." I want my kids to grow up together, close in age. i dont know what to do!! any advice, i could really use the help of some fellow mommies!!!

GMCilu

Asked by GMCilu at 11:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• As long as you don' t plan your baby using government medical and getting assistance I don't see the problem. You guys should be paying for your own children or you should wait. You can wait until you have the money. We did and I am glad we did. We both worked and save for 9 years. When we had our children we had money and a cushion. My husband lost his job for 8 months last year we were fine and could have went 6 years with him not working and lived fine. So many want what they want when they want it and never think about the consequences. Think about you kids and your marriage. Lack of money is a big reason so many divorce. Kids raised in poverty are more likely to remain in poverty. So use common sense and think about your kids not just yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• As long as you have the resources to save for a secure retirement and college for more than one child, then go for it!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• as long as you can have a baby and raise both children without pa, then go for it. If you need help b/c you can't pay for it all, then, no, you can't afford it right now, and that's irresponsible. We, as a society, don't want to pay for you to have a child you can't afford, just b/c your itching to have one. But if you can afford it (maybe by giving up a few luxuries), if that's what you really want, then why not.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Waiting till things are financially better for you will have little to NO negative consequences, but having another child know, especially since your husband wants to wait, CAN and more than likely will have negative consequenses. Having children is the most important decision a couple can make, if people waited to have kids or more kids, like they would buyin a home or a new car, there wouldn't be as much of a money issue. But people seem to think that since they can breed, they should. It doesnt' work that way, children aren't comodities.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I don't think that it is wrong to want anything when money is tight....although what the final decision will be on that wanting might be another story. I would personally not have another child in this economy, but that is just me.
    Anonymous

• I would say go for it if its what you really want. Most mommys I know go through an "I want another baby" stage when their LO is about 2. Make sure thats not what this is first. And remember, affording means different things to different people.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It's not wrong to want but having another one when money is tight is another story. We had to wait almost two years to even start trying after we decided we wanted another one because we were in a bad financial situation. It is so much better to have another baby when you can afford it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2009