dialated?

how do you know you are dialated? Can you feel you are or doc just tell you? I am jsut curious. How far do you have to be to be have baby? even with c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you don' t have to be dilated at all to have a c-section. you don't have to be dilated at all before you start labor either. but you are usually about 10 cm dilated when your baby is birthed. knowing how dilated you are can't tell you when your baby will come. :) doctors will often check your cervix for you and tell you but it's not necessary. and some women check themselves but i don't know how.
    Anonymous

• but you are usually about 10 cm dilated when your baby is birthed. vaginally i meant
    Anonymous

• You can go into labor without being dilated, or be anywhere in-between.
    Some women do feel dilating, others don't recognize it.
    It is checked by a finger(s) inside the vagina, reaching the cervix. They put their fingers inside to see how open it is. It's a guesstimate.
    The situation with a cesarean varies. If a mom is safe to labor then she might be somewhat dilated at the time of surgery... many variables.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You can't generally feel yourself dilating; someone needs to reach up there and check, whether that's you or a midwife or a doctor or whoever. And dilation before labor means nothing. Some women (like my mom) are dilated 3 cm at 36 weeks and stay that way until they deliver at 41 weeks. Some women (like myself) don't dilate at all until active labor. Usually a woman is 10 cm dilated before they feel the urge to push, though sometimes it can happen before then; it all depends on the woman and what her body is telling her. And you don't have to be dilated at all for a C-section since the baby isn't coming out of the birth canal.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I am 41 weeks 6 days and I am NOT dilated at all !!!!!!! I have to be induced on Saturday since I will be 42 weeks .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• everyone is different. DONT CHECK YOURSELF!!. i was 4 cm by 28 wks with my first and i had her at 38. i was 3cm at 32 wks my seond and had him at 37. as for c-section. well it depends. if it schedule then you might or not might be. if its an emergency well the same. asn if you getto 10 and the baby is stuck then i guess oyur 10 cm and having a c-section. you dont need top be dialated to have c-section. only if you are having a vagional delivery
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Answered at 1:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 by:
    baby1...
    I am 41 weeks 6 days and I am NOT dilated at all !!!!!!! I have to be induced on Saturday since I will be 42 weeks .

you don't HAVE to be. it's up to you. :) good luck. btw i wasn't dilated at all until i went into labor at 41 weeks. maybe that will be you tomorrow.
    Anonymous