Would you ask your neighbors to chain their dog up if he keeps getting in to your trash and has attacked your cats?

My neighbors dog comes in our yard at night and scatters trash all over the place, and attacked one of my cats last night. He would have killed it if I hadn't started screaming. Now my cat has a hurt leg. Plus three of our cats have already came up missing, and none of this ever happened until the dog came along. I want to ask them to chain the dog up at night because he doesn't bother during the day. I don't want them to get offended. Would you get offended if it was your dog, and the neighbor asked you to chain them up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would probably be calling the police personally. Or using my fathers approach. he uses a bb or pellet gun and the neighbors dogs know not to come into his yard now. Well they know when they start hearing him pump it that its time to take off. One neighbor complained and he pointed out it was either that or call the county to get the "stray" dog in his yard (the owner would have 48 hours to claim the dog before it got euthanized). Since said neighbor can't locate his dog half the day it might be two days before he really noticed it was missing and then it would be too late. I love dogs, but I also realize that if they have no leadership, they run the risk of settling into a pack mentality and then its only a matter of time before they bite someone, or kill a cat. Here the mauling of your cat would be enough if you chose to pursue it to get the dog put down as vishious.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would call 311, or whatever number you call for city services

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i wouldnt be offended if there was reasons but these nieghbors might take it offendedly since they have no proof. you could give them a warning but i would of been fed up with that already and called animal control. leave your garbage alone and have them see it. they might not take the dog that day but they can give the warning to them anonymously with out you doing it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would ask them nicely the first time then I would call the authorities!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The dog needs to be restrained if nobody is out with it.I would present it to them as though you are concerned for the animal. Make up a story about the speeder down the road, "he hit someone's dog before".

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Don't worry about offending them. ASK. Dogs like that can be dangerous. If you stick to the point and are polite I don't see why they would get offended. Here we have leash laws about letting dogs off your property without a leash. I know that you said nothing about the dogs being aggressive toward people but that can change. My neighbors had two dogs that ran loose all the time. We never said anything because we did not want to offend anyone until the day my husband was taking some food to the car that we were going to take to a sick friend and out of no where this dog just attacked him. It tore his arm open and he had to get stitches. It is better to ask now, than to have the situation get out of hand.
    Anonymous

• its a law in our town...
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't get offended but then again I wouldn't have a dog that would attack a neighbor's pets. If I were in your situation, I'd just call animal control. That dog sounds dangerous.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• (By state law) and b/c i wouldn't want my dogs to get hurt either, we have our dogs in a fenced yard. If they are in the front (not fenced) they are on a chain/leash.

It's not rude of you to ask. It's rude of them to not supervise their dog in the first place. If they won't be responsible, next time thier dog comes in your yard, call animal control and have them pick it up or fine them. If they do pick up the animal, make sure you tell them so they can go get it (they will have to pay a fine to get it i think). So, if you can't reason with them calmly, a fine might make them wake up.

I would also request they pay for the vet bill. If you want to get nasty, you can file a police report and request they pay for the bill on it (they may have to then?), but only if they won't behaive responsibly in this matter.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would take the cat to the vet, present the bill to them, and ask that they keep the dog in their yard. I would only talk to the once. The next time it happens, I would call animal control or load up a BB gun.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009