What does it mean to be a good parent

I do not understand if you are a lazy parent you are called a bad parent If you push your child into things that teaches them responsability, you are classified as bad, strict parent , and of course down right mean and everyone feels so sorry for your "poor abuse children!" WTH!! So what makes you a good parent and what makes you a lazy bad parent, (please answer both remember no one is a perfect parent!!!)

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 12:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Putting your kids first makes you a good parent. Reading to them, teaching them, spending time with them, playing with them. talking to them, getting medical attention. Basically taking care of all of their needs and indulging in some of their wants even if it is not convenient for you.

Being a bad parent is someone who puts themself and their wants before the needs of their children. Or abusing a child in any form.
    dolphinz1923

Answer by dolphinz1923 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Most people on this site seem to think as long as your children are fed, alive, not being abused, and bathed then you're a good parent. Lucky for my kids, I don't think that way.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The best form of parenting is called authoritative.

Authoritative parents set clear and consistent limits for children. They are flexible but firm, whichs leads to children who are responsible, cooperative, and self reliant.

You can read more about authoritative parents by searching on google.

Authoritative parnts are nurturing. The other parenting styles that are "undesirable" are authoritarian (obedience oriented), permissive (the parent as friend), and uninvolved (detached).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I figure I'll find out if I was any good when he moves out.

I'm a pretty laid back parent. I let him do most of what he wants provided its not harmful to him or others. He has a few hard and fast rules but mostly as long as he does what is asked of him and is polite and respectful in his actions and words then we're good. My kid isn't overly rough or mean or disobediant.

When he does misbehave he is punished. The punishment normally fits the crime and is quick and to the point.

We have set times of doing things and he knows the schedule. Normally he's a go with the flow kind of kid.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2009