Ferber Method

I don't believe in Ferber Method, letting your baby to CIO, for me not for more than 5 minutes tops. It's hard... But I don't like seeing my baby cry...He is only 2 months old and he needs all the attention... He won't just sleep on his own or on his crib.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What's the question?

Babies don't like to sleep in their own crib because they want to be near their mother. It is a survival mechanism, its hard wired into their brains.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling him up like they did when he was first in the hospital? And, try putting him down in a smaller space, with rolled up towels or blanket, or something similar so he still "feels" like someone is holding him. After you feed him, put him down just as he is falling asleep. If you wait until he is completely asleep, he will wake up when you move him (unless he is really out). I would get him more and more used to you NOT holding him during different parts of the day as he is learning that he is OK by himself. ~~ I would let a 6mo CIO, but 2 mo is too young!

christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I rocked my daughter to sleep until about a week ago. She will be 7 months in just over a week. They r only babies once and soon they won't want to be held.
    Anonymous

• Well, Ferber himself says 2 months is too young. I think six months is his minimum. Read his book. Most poeple just leave their children alone and let them cry for hours, and call it Ferber. That's NOT what he is about. I do not use his method, but if you're going to let your baby cry, I think his is the best, most humane, crying method. I don't use cio, but at least his book has the baby's best interest at heart. He wrote it to combat people just leaving their kids alone to scream for hours.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Remember, babies have died when parents have used the "Ferber method."
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Not the Ferber method. Weiselbluth, maybe. But not Ferber. I am not for it, but I am for accurate information.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ferber says no sooner than six months. Same with other sleep training methods. Till then, BABY drives the bus on sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2009