Need help with a natural stool softener

My DD has had hard stools since she started solids at 6 months, she is now 2. She gets only water with the exception of one 7oz cup half water and half apple juice. She gets probiotics daily. Eats grapes. These are all suggestions of other moms and still doesn't help. I used to be able to give her prunes in form of baby food mixed with her oatmeal, but she will no longer eat it. I don't know what else to try?? Other than maybe prune juice? But how can I get her to drink it?

lilrie1980

Asked by lilrie1980 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here is some info I found online

Increase fluids
    Increase fiber in her diet (beans, broccoli, peas, bran cereals, high-fiber breads, crackers (be sure to offer plenty of extra fluids as well)
    Increase exercise and movement
    Offer prunes, pears, plums, and peaches (the 4 Ps!)
    Offer toddlers two teaspoons of flax oil (high in Omega three fatty acids and great for preventing constipation) per day
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son has the same issues but he's had them since birth. NOTHING has worked for him, not for long. I give him probiotics also made by culturelle. we call it special sugar, he also gets miralax 2 times a day - he's had this since he was oh.... 14 months Old I think, it definently does HELP, but we still go through our weeks of hard stools and painful gas and tummy aches with him. The 5th Ped I saw about this for him said that we can increase the amount of miralax and it is something he can use for life , IF he needs to - its a non stimulant and not bad for them. its just somewhat spendy but its worth it during those weeks of painful tummy times and hard painful stools. they are hoping he grows out of it, but what I am going to do is make an appt with a dietician. I just had him tested for celiac's since he had some of those symptoms but luckily that came back negative so now I will see if a dietcian has more/btter advice.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Do you know why she is constipated? A lactose intolerance perhaps, or maybe some kind of nutritional deficiency (like magnesium or potassium). If you can figure out the cause, you'll be better able to treat the symptom.
    Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 2:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• well I know for my son, they will NOT give him a food allergy test - Ive had 3 ped's tell me they do not do them because they are not accurate at all. we have to do food trials but that is SO hard to do when it can take someoones body weeks and only have mild reactions to allergic foods or ingredients, you wouldn't know which one it was anyway - plus getting a 2 year old to eat anyway is torture in itself.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• HAve you talked to your pediatrician? That should be the first stop.
    My ped recommended mixing apple juice with prune juice, worked like a charm!
    Anonymous

• Will she eat pineapple? My kids love it and it guarentees them to "get going"! I actually busted my son eating a ton of it and told him to stop but it was too late..... needless to say he is not backed up at all right now.
    mmoleader

Answer by mmoleader at 3:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2009