Any advice out there on weaning from the breast?

My baby is now a year old and I am trying to wean him. I started substituting with formula when he'll allow me to but he is really fighting me on it. It's harder than I thought it would be. Any advice for me would be appreciated.

Soon2BMamaD

Asked by Soon2BMamaD at 1:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have always heard have dad or someone else give them the bottle, with you not around. So go to another room and let them give it a try. May take a little while. I had to supplement with both my babies, so never had to totally ween them.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i bought the soothie bottles or the vent aire bottle he like those better it was easier for him to move from the breast to the bottle, but then again we did do both bottle and breast, though some would say that causes nipple confusion he did fine i guess that is what could've had helped a lot i would have daddy feed him with a bottle as well Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• if he is a yr. now u can also try 2% regular milk cause of change in tase buds with age he just might not like the formula and it will be easier for him to digest 2% rather than whole milk
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have never managed to get my head around the need to wean from breastmilk to an artificial breastmilk substitute. If breastmilk is no longer necessary, why use a substitute pretending to be 'as good' at all? Why not wean to food and drink like regular people eat?

Milk, after weaning, is not a 'special' food, even if the dairy industry shouts really loud --it's just another protein source that's pretty high in sodium, but has lots of calcium, most of which can't be absorbed. Milk is just another food, like carrots --and people all over the world never eat any other mammal's milk, once they're weaned from breastmilk. People all over the world have never seen a carrot, too.

Once weaned, humans need a wide variety of foods in as close to their natural state as possible. It can include milk products, but it doesn't have to.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Why are you weaning to a bottle or to formula? If you want to wean, that's totally fine, I'm not telling you not to. But you are creating an unnecessary step, and you will then have to wean from the bottle.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Thank you all for the advice. Actually we tried to wean him from the breast to formula in a cup because I didn't want to substitute one nipple for another. He just doesn't seem to like the flavor much or something and we've tried different kinds too. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm sure she'll talk to us about cow's milk. Also he does eat plenty of food and drinks water and juice, it's mostly nursing time when he's cranky or when he goes down for a nap or bedtime. The main reason I'm ready to wean is because we are wanting to start trying for another baby soon and I've heard it can be bad to be pregnant and breastfeeding at the same time.
    Soon2BMamaD

Answer by Soon2BMamaD at 5:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Have you ever tasted formula? I can understand why your little one doesn't want to drink it. I'd switch to whole milk (4% milk fat) instead of formula. also try switching one feeding at a time and as a previous poster mentioned let dada or another family member give the first couple cups to your little one. Also, if you have one, hide your nursing pillow unless you are going to nurse. My son would refuse the sippy (try and find one with the softer spouts at first) and drag my nursing pillow over to me.

Oh, when it comes to the bedtime nursing cut the nursing time down gradually. I decreased my night time feeding by 5 minutes each week and replaced it with a story and some cuddles.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2009