How can I get my 12 month old daughter to stop rocking?

She rocks in her high chair so hard I'm afraid it will fall forward. I've even put my hand behind her head to see if making it uncomfortable would stop her but it doesn't. I cant just put her up against the wall or pin her with the chair and table because she can still get out by rocking herself and moving the chair. I have considered stud mounting her chair to the wall but then I would not be able to move it around. She does this on the couch as well which I dont really see as being a problem.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 1:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well I am a SAHM and we pretty much do the same thing every day. I cant think of a single thing that would cause her to have anxiety. We're home pretty much all day and have a predictable schedule. Well she has recently learned some new places to climb and grab things so I have been telling her no and sometimes it makes her cry. I suppose that might make her nervous, I dont know.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 5:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• hmm, that is a tough one.

my ds quickly went to a booster seat after he was a year old. maybe something to try, (maybe she won't rock in that). until this "rocking" phase is over.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Our son did that for a while too. At 13 months we put him one of those booster seats. But now he has figured out how to push off the table with his feet. Sensory to them and scary and annoying for us.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• honestly, it will take her hurting herself to stop it - my son would do that too and banged his head really hard once he got in to his booster - he stopped that then realized he can push away from the table with his feet which is annoying too - i would stop giving her the attention while she's doing it., if you are that is..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Generally, any persistant behaviour like this in a child so young is anxiety relief. You can't stop them from trying to relieve their anxiety, but you can allay it (or remove the source).

Without knowing a lot more about the house she's living in, how she is generally handled and what kind of daily routine she has, it's impossible to make specific suggestions for removing the sources that cause her anxiety, but I can say a few things about it, in general:

Babies need their parents more than they need: schedules, pacifiers, cuddle objects, toys, stuffies, 'outings', daycare workers, loud noise, shopping trips, 'stimulation', discipline, restrictions, rules or any single specific food.

Something (or some many things) causes her enough anxiety that she's developed a persistent nervous habit. You can change the habit (make it hair pulling or nail biting) but you can't make the need go away. You can only remove the stress.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009