How do you inspire your family to help out around the house?

I feel like the CEO of company "Our House" and I have a bunch of workers I'd like to fire for not doing their jobs or meeting deadlines. I want to know how you get your whole family to pitch in and work as a team on anything from planning dinner, cleaning or getting ready for school. How do you get around constantly nagging and feeling like you have to check everything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• you're going to have to check everything, no matter what, if you want it done correctly. I usuallly make doing chores a game and they have so much fun they don't realize they're doing all of the housework.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• They know they have jobs and there are consequences if they don't do them. We have 3 boys, they each have a set job 13 yr old, trash duty, 7 yr old empty dishwasher, 6 yr old dusting. They know they have to keep their rooms clean as well. They do them everyday after homework. Its a set routine and I think that helps. I don't feel I need to inspire them, I need to teach them to stick to their job, work together, so that when they are older they will be able to do things for themselves, and not have to rely on anyone else to do it for them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Umm, I thought nagging was the only way???? LOL

DS has a chore chart. My DH needs one.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Inspire? LOL. That is a new word for me. I get what you are saying I just don't know how to do it. I have to resort to threats, nagging, force, or guilt to get any help at all and even then, those tactics rarely work. Sorry, momma. I wish I knew the answer myself, but I will be watching this question to see if anyone has an answer.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• FUN! I have them clean out dishwasher, vaccum, mop, and pick up toys.
    I make these fun and exciting.
    I have taught myself, PATIENCE and UNPERFECTION....lmao. I know you are to

I have little talks with myself about "if you want help then NEVER expect perfect" and "your help will never move at your speed cause TIME doesn't matter to them"

Hope this helps a little.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 1:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Yes you are the CEO and that is a good way of looking at it. Depends on your kids personalities I guess. If my dd asks "Can I do ____" I sometimes remember to ask her "Is your room clean?" Whatever she answers with, is the answer I give her in return. She cleans fast because after she is done, she can usually do whatever it was she wanted.

Try to be clever and be persistent and in the same order. Use their wants to your advantage. Is that mean? lol Get them each their own laundry basket and have them pick up. Turn TV off and have 5 minute pickup. Get organized and buy organizing gadgets like shoe organizer for everywhere!

Getting ready for school: I did this with my dd starting in K, 2 years ago, and will do it with my boys soon. List all the things on a sheet of paper IN ORDER that you need to do every morning. Let them draw each step on a large poster board. We still follow this routine every morning.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• cont.....One of the best purchases I ever made was buying them each a feather duster. They love it! And my middle loves to vaccuum...I got hella lucky on that one!

Have fun too. We use to shoot basketball with my dd's toys into her toy basket. Get a bucket and put it in the middle of living room and shoot basket ball too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Thankfully i never really have to do anything if my hubby is home and he sees me doing the dishes (i always start with the dishes) then he goes up and tells me to take a break and he will do the dishes, i let him but i just move onto another chore lol and then he helps me clean up the house lol
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Joyfully doing the tasks the run a house makes them look attractive, and keeps the emotional content low and easy. You do the tasks because you love the results or feel it is a way of loving your family, or because they are simple and easy things to feel accomplishment with. Bringing that attitude to the work makes joining in easy for others.

If you play the hard-worn martyr suffering through all the drudgery, you can guarantee that everyone watching knows the jobs are icky and filled with emotional baggage, too hard, and 'asking too much' that is reluctantly given. Who wants to join in that kind of yuk?

Drop 100% of the jobs that you do not personally love to have completed, no matter what: then the people who think they should be done can be directed toward doing what is obviously important to them. They'll get a lovely burst of self-esteem out of feeling accomplished in something valuable (to them).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• We do this or we don't do that. Is now my motto.

It never ends though, but it is getting better, just stick with it.

People say eventually, they will do it as second nature-What I ask is????

WHEN WILL EVENTUALLY BE?????
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009