Advice of putting a halt to co-sleeping?

My baby is 1 now and he starts out in his crib but with me breastfeeding when he wakes I have a tendency to take him to bed with us and he ends up sleeping the night in our bed. I know his doctor adviced against it in the beginning and said it would become an issue but when your tired and that is the only way to get some sleep, you do what you have to do. So does anyone have any advice on how I can put this issue to rest? I don't believe in the cry it out method, I just can't do that. It doesn't bother us having him sleep with us but I know he needs to sleep on his own.

Soon2BMamaD

Asked by Soon2BMamaD at 1:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you don't mind him in bed and he is happy there...why move him? My kids both co-slept until they were about three. They are 4 and 3 now and both sleep wonderfully in their beds. We did like you and put them in their beds at first and then when they woke to nurse they came to bed with us. Eventually they slept longer and longer at night in their own beds and by three they were sleeping til 7-8 am in their beds. We did it gradually bc that is what worked for us. We did get "crap" from other people about co-sleeping but we did what we decided was best for our kids.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i co slept with my son cause of tthe breastfeeding as well i did it until i noticed he was sleepin longer than he use to then i would feed him and put him in bed and lol to make it easier on me i put the crib right my bed lol so yea if u are worried about him sleeping with you, (cause i know ppl made me paranoid about co-sleepin) i just did that and it was easier... Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• All of the 'research' against co-sleeping is done by furniture manufacturers. They happily fail to include the number of children killed annually by recalled, damaged or poorly-made cribs, every time they wave around the cases of drunk parents smothering babies or drugged up parents left tiny infants alone in damaged adult beds, as if that has anything to do with normal people.

Your son doesn't 'need' to sleep alone. One of the reasons co-sleeping is protective against SIDS is because mom and dad's movements and noises keep baby from falling so deeply asleep that they stop breathing. Another benefit is synchronized sleep patterns, so babe wakes at the same time mom is in the lightest phases of sleep, making waking easier and falling back to sleep faster.

It is normal for human children to sleep with other humans until they die of old age. It is not 'normal' for humans to have beds, separate bedrooms or glass windows.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• during the day if they are nursed to sleep for naps. lay with them for example in their toddler bed and nurse them to sleep for naps. and let them nap and then wake up in their own bed. so they will get used to their own bed and sleeping alone. you can even put their toddler bed right beside your bed. so if you want to try this for the night time routine when they wake up they can still see you and aren't really alone. my almost 13 month old still co-sleeps with me & my hubby. she is nursed to sleep for naps and at bed time. so as long as your comfortable still co-sleeping it is fine. for me the 1st step for my daughter will be getting her to take her naps in her own toddler bed. you could get him new toddler bedding so he wants to sleep in his bed. he can only use the bedding if he is in his own bed. hoped my answer helped.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It sounds like you are happy with your situation, and just worried about down the road. So, at some point a change will need to be made. In my opinion, it's easier with an older child, who can verbalize. If you are happy, and your child is happy, there is no need to sleep alone. I never sleep alone. My husband sleeps with me every night! :) We happily coslept, until we weren't *happily* cosleeping. THen, we made very slow changes.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• apexmommy- said it quite well. thats the same scenario we had. when they're a little older, and able to talk to you, it makes the transition so much easier. they never 'need' to sleep alone, in fact, they benefit much more from cosleeping. my boys are 28 months, and 4 years, the baby just got his own bed about 3 months ago, until then he had never slept alone. the transition was easier for me, because he shared a room with his brother.
    my so is out of town every other week, for a couple of days, and when he is gone, i bring them to bed with me- i hate to sleep alone. they all look forward to snuggle time.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Thank you all for your advice. I really do love having him in bed with us, I love to cuddle with the little guy. We waited a long time to have a baby and I like having him near so I know he's okay. My main problem I guess is I'm tired of getting in trouble by his doctor. He has an appointment tomorrow and I'm tempted to lie to her about how he's sleeping but I am very much against lying so I can't do that. Without fail though she will ask how he's sleeping through the night and where he is sleeping at.
    Soon2BMamaD

Answer by Soon2BMamaD at 5:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• And what are her reasons for caring? He's old enough that overlaying can't be considered a problem (not that it ever is), and as an adult I don't sleep through the night. I am just old enough to roll over and go back to sleep. You don't have to lie. "He sleeps from 8-6 and in a bed." Doesn't matter if he wakes up between, or WHOSE bed. :) It's the truth.

But if your doctor is giving you grief over this, I'd consider a new doctor.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009