Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so upset and don't know what else to do

My husband and I both work but in the area we live there are just mostly part time jobs available. We both are going to college and raising our 9 month old son the best we can. We applied for HUD but they have told us that we make 1522 a month and they only way they can help us is if we rent a place for 600 dollars and then they would pay a 100 of it. We hardly have money to buy food some months much less pay that much in rent. We now live in a leaky one room built on room for 150 a month. The floors are concrete and the roof leaks when it rains or snows. We have one heater and no air conditioners in the summer but one small one. Our son has no room and the only kitchen is upstairs. We have a 300 dollar car payment and medical bills. But I don't know what else to do. What are my options of finding rental assistance because I think they are not doing something right. We don't make enough to live.

Answer Question

Asked by TACXBCBJC at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I am not sure what to tell you but I will sure pray for you and your family.

    Answer by racingmomma at 1:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • I don't know of rental assisstance, but have you looked into WIC, Foodstamps, medicaid? You could rearrange your budget to pay for rent.

    Answer by Natsnumberthree at 1:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • And if at all possible get rid of that car payment. That is much to high for the amount of money you make.

    Answer by Natsnumberthree at 1:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • As for the medical bills, look on your bill. There should be a 1-800 number you can call to get help for the medical bills. I had an $8000 dollar bill and we could not afford that. I called the number and had to send in my tax returns. They sent us another bill for only $10 and forgave the rest. Put an ad in the newspaper for baby-sitting or cleaning services for when you are off work. Have you tried for food stamps? What about pell grant for your school? DH and I are both in school and receive pell. After we pay for classes and books, there's still about $1000 left over. Talk to your financial aid office and see if there's anything available. You can also look into Fannie May or Freddie Mac, but I believe I read that they have gone bankrupt. Worth a shot though. Join freecycle. org. There's people there that offer all kinds of free stuff and you may be able to find heaters & clothes for your LO.

    Answer by renea20 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • How many are in ur family? my family of 5 survived on 1800 a month with out assistance. I think you need to reevaluat your bills and see where you can cut coroners.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • Have a yard sale. It won't get you much, but it's better than nothing. If ya'll have any extra like cable or anything have it cut off. It will help a lot. You may also want to get the name and number of whoever is over the HUD in your area. The person you spoke with may have made a mistake. Good luck, Mama. I know times are hard right now. Just stick with it. This too shall pass.

    Answer by renea20 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • have u tried a housing authority or is that what hud is? my husband didn't make that much and we qualified but cause of where we live we were put on a waiting list of a yr. for a two bedroom apartment i am sorry try to get online and apply for food stamps and if ur baby is not on medicaid then appl for medicaid for ur baby... as well as wic only if u have not u can also see if section 8 applies to your family as well i am sorry if this is no help to you Good luck!

    Answer by waterlily89 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • I am sorry but anon 1:24 there is no way a family of 5 lived on 1800 a month, unless you perhaps had your cars and house paid off, had no debt (student loans, medical, anything) and had no extras such as cell phones or whatever. We are family of 5 and we make (if dh gets all his hours) 4000 a month before taxes and we barely can pay the minimum. OP - definitely look into wic, food stamp and pa for the time being to get on your feet. You sound like you are trying to do what you can, working hard, and that is who the assistance programs are for. Also, look in your area for food banks. Also, there should be a program with your electric if you are having problems paying that bill as well. A lot of the previous posters have also given a lot of good ideas. You will be in my prayers. I know what it is like to struggle. We are making it now but we have had a rough road getting there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • There r some places that goes by income have u checked into that and if u can get ur son on medicaid u will get wic automatically. Food stamps a little harder to get on but from the sound of things I think u would be able to get on that to and I think they also add in ur bills and medicaid they will pay the previous medical bills even though u werent on medicaid yet.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • If you're receiving financial aid, that is probably what's killing the deal for you. I know here in California, the state wont pay out anything if you are getting any form of financial aid. I'm getting an extra $669/month for going to school. If you are not getting aid for school, apply for it. Pell grants are amazing. Typically if you have a child, they will pay it out to you with hardly any questions asked. Medi-cal, medicaide, foodstamps, WIC are all great options as well. I got screwed out of foodstamps for $37 of extra income in one period. They told me once I don't qualify for a single month, I am required to reapply. I didn't bother. It's a loooong process and with a car payment, they wont give you sh*t.

    Answer by MommyHess at 12:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.