How do you figure what recipe is cheaper?

I am thinking of things to make- (we have a church trunk or treat- I was thinking popcorn balls or store bought candy, a dessert get together afterward- I was thinking of making a pie, and I wanted to sell baked goods at our yard sale)

How do you calculate how much it costs to make items, esp when you're using flour which you may already HAVE and are not buying or using the whole bag...

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 1:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Go to the store and write down the Unit Pricing on everything, even the items you already have at home, along with what they use to measure (per ounce, per package/ etc). Then when you look at your recipe, multiply or divide that unit pricing by the quantities you need. So say flour is 40 cents/lb ($2 for a 5 lb bag). Your recipe uses 1 cup of flour. 1 cup of flour weighs 4 oz, so the flour costs you one fourth of that 40 cents, or 10 cents. Figure the rest of the ingredients the same way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2009