hubby is a bad influence......

We live in a racially diverse area, I have never really thought anything of it. In the last few years we have had a lot of growth in the hispanic community. Also, there has been an increase in crime and gang activity.
My hubby thinks the crime rate has gone up strictly because of the hispanic growth, not a generalized population growth. It makes me so angry.
Lately he has been asking our kids "what color their friends are" and "do they speak english". I am so freaking pissed off by this! Leave the kids alone! They have a diverse group of friends, it is not the end of the world! I find it to be a good thing. He went so far as to say we should find more extra curricular activities with more white kids, & switch our kids.
My kids know his behavior is wrong, & tell him so. He ends up mad at them. I told him to stop or we are going to leave. My dad is racist and I have nothing to do with him, hubby knows this. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• If he really believes this, then more than likely he'll want his kids to believe it also. All you can do is ask him if he's willing to stop making his comments to the kids and allow them to form their own opinions. If not, unfortunately you'll just have to live with it and counter any of his comments in private with your kids.

It absolutely disgusts that people can judge others based on how much pigment is in their skin.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 3:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• has he always been racist, or has the statistics made it come out? unless your kid's friends have a police record are are violent people, I'd tell your hubby to let them be. if he was raised racist or in a comunity dominated by mostly whites, I can understand why he feels this way (it isnt right he feels this way, but he might not be able to help it much), but he'll need to get over it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It's not worth divorcing him if that's the only problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• He wasn't raised this way and this is the only problem. I just want him to keep this opinion to himself!
    Anonymous

• I hate to say it but I'm with your husband. While I don't condone judging someone based upon their skin tone I do think that I tend to judge based on a cultural standard. There are things in the black/Hispanic/Asian culture that I do not like and don't want around me or my family. Not that I am out and out rude to those of another race, I just tend to not associate with them. For me its all about cultural differences.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2009