Dumb question about toothbrushes

Are you supposed to replace them every 3 months or every 6? I am thinking every 3, but my husband says every 6. I want to but a new toothbrush in her stocking for Christmas and my daughter loves to brush her teeth anyway so she will be super psyched about them. But she turns two about 5 weeks after Christmas. So should we get her a stage one toothbrush which is 4-24 months or should we get her a stage 2 toothbrush which is 2-4 years. I mean, it if I am supposed to replace them every six months I would rather get the stage two since it is only 5 weeks too soon. But if it is every 3 months, then I would say it wouldn't be a big deal if I got the stage one since I would replace it in less than two months afterward. I know, I said it was dumb. I have been replacing hers really frequently because she was teething pretty much constantly and chewed them all up while brushing, but now she has all of her teeth, including her two years

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I say every 3 or more often....esp if you had a cold
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• 6 is good but if you want to get her one this Christmas, just keep the old one in case something happens like the new one talls in the toilet one day.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Our dentist said every six months, or if anyone is sick.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Toothbrushes can be washed in the dishwasher, which is what we do when someone gets sick.

I replace toothbrushes when they show wear. That is probably every 3-6 months.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Well, 24 months IS 2 yrs, so really, I say whichever one you want to get her, it really wouldn't make a difference. And depending on where I read it or who I talk to, I've heard 3 months & 6 months for replacing, so I usually go by what a dentist once told me, which is when the bristles are no longer tight together, but looking frayed and spread out, it's time to replace.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I was told 3 months and after anyone is sick. You can reinfect if you use a toothbrush after being sick.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2009