How can I get my 1-year old to nap more than 20-30 minutes?

My 1-year old went from napping 1-2 hours to 20-30 minutes. Goes down with a fight, falls asleep crying, and then wakes up hysterically crying after 20-30 min. No clue why this is happening. Totally out of the blue. Not hungry. Nothing wrong, because she's totally fine once you pick her up. Just doesn't want to sleep during the day. Great sleeper at night. HELP!

sjm5505

Asked by sjm5505 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son went through a phase for about 2 months, then went back to napping 2 hours again. I'd say just stick with the routine.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• any chance she's teething:? I blame this on everything for my son but I know he's also been way more affected with teething than some kids and when you have mouth pain, it does tend to hurt more when they are laying down.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You don't mention what time you're putting your child down for a nap. Going down fighting may be a sign that it's too early for a nap or she isn't tired. You might try adjusting naptime and/or the amount of activity in the morning to see if it helps. You might also try listening outside the door for the initial sounds of her waking up then go in and rub her back (or something else soothing) to help get her back into a deeper sleep. (I believe this was an idea suggested in one of Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution books.) Try not to make too many changes in an attempt to solve this problem as you may actually add to it. Make small changes and see how they go for a few days before trying anything else. When my son went through these sort of phases, I would stick him in the stroller and go for walk. He got more of a nap and I got a break and ltitle exercise!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• let her take a nap at the time she wants too. wake her up at 7am. only give her one nap during the day. keep her busy so when she does take a nap, she will take a longer one and be more tired.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• teething?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009