Kids should not have to live in fear

but they do.

It is so sad, we have to teach them to protect them selves when we are not there, I teach my kids that all the time. I hate it, I don't remember being raised like that, I mean worring about strangers, sexual prediators, abductuction, why did kids have too, how is this going on in this day and age. Kids as sex slaves, they need harder convictions, people do more time selling drugs then raping.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They only live in fear if you make them.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You must teach them, sad but the kids who know what is out there tend to run away from it.

NYC-girl 7 killed because I neighbor befriended her.-MY KIDS DON'T GET IN ANYONES CAR AND I MEAN ANYONES CAR UNLESS, I TELL THEM DIRECT. OTHER WISE THEY WILL CALL ME/ AND SPEAK TO ME DIRECT TO SEE IF IT IS OK.

NEW JERSEY-3 YEAR OLD MOLESTED BY UNCLE.
    10 YEAR OLD MOLESTED BY FATHER OF FRIEND AT SLEEP OVER.

KIDS NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS OUT THERE. AND PREDIATORS SHOULD BE SENTENCED MORE SERIOUS.

I COULD GO ON AND ON, BUT I WON'T. THIS IS OUR COUNTRY, THIS IS WHAT WE FACE NOW.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I AM HONEST WITH MY KIDS, YES SOMETIMES IT MIGHT SCARE THEM, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS THAT DON'T KNOW, SCREAM, RUN, AND GET AWAY.

I TEACH THEM TO PROTECT THEM SELF, WHEN I AM NOT AROUND. YOU CAN'T BE THERE ALWAYS.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Children being harmed is nothing new. We're more aware of it because we're not confined to what goes on in our own communities through things like the internet and television.

My kids are being raised to be smart about strangers, but I'm not teaching them to be fearful that everyone who speaks to them is out to hurt them. I'm hoping to instill some common sense into them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• sad but it is cause ppl these days know that there are some states that just slap u on the wrist (so to speak ) for kidnapping or what not if u plead guilty but man i all i remember is when we were in school we were taught about talking to strangers and getting into the car with stranger and what not now u have to be more specific with ur children and make sure they understand that not ppl are good ppl i don't like talking to my nieces about it (my son is still too young to understand) cause then i have to explain why...
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I was raised smart about strangers. The good old password to get into someone car (my mother or fathers first name) was a simple precaution. Never walk up to a car that is asking for directions or pulls over for any reason. My parents were nosey about who I was spending time with and knew all my friends parents BEFORE I could ever go over there to play. The people they didn't trust I could only play outside with. It is possible to teach children to be safe without making them think everyone is out to get them.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• op i agree with you!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Frankly, I took a long hard look at that issue, and decided NOT to talk to them about any of that. I took it upon my self to ALWAYS be there until they were 10 or so when I would feel that they were old enough to learn about such things without it crippling their fundamental confidence in the world.

In this world, they didn't go about alone until they were in High School. And our rule was: we ALWAYS know where you are - no "wandering around the mall" or "hanging out with friends". If I needed to drive to pick you up with 10 minutes' notice, where would I find you?

THAT was the level of supervision our kids had - even when they were driving themselves to their activities.

It was an unusual level of parent involvement for TODAY'S society, but not for previous decades - when kids actually learned how to be MATURE in their 20's .... but that's a different topic.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• ... And yes, you CAN be there always. Sorry if this contravenes other people's parenting parameters, but I did it.

Children should be ALWAYS under the supervision of an adult. When one adult hands off the child, they look into the eyes of the adult taking up the responsibility. Simple as that.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ever notice how the children that are abducted, molested and/or killed are attacked by the mother's boyfriend, the father's girlfriend (Haleigh Cummings) live in poor communities/mobile home parks, the parents are druggies/alcoholics, the children are being raised by grandparents/other relatives, the children have been in foster care and/or CPS has paid at least one visit to the home?

There are very few children who are abducted, molested and/or killed by their biological parents (comparatively speaking), and when being properly supervised by those parents, or well known, and trusted people in the community.

This is what happens when the family nucleus falls apart--which has happened in the past 20+ years moreso than ever before--and likely why we're hearing about it so much more these days, than when we were kids! Non-biological family members aren't always vested in the best interest of someone elses child!
    Anonymous