What happened to Freedom of Speech? (VENT)

So this is pretty stupid and I need to vent...On my Facebook yesterday I had put something on there about how I look foward to December bc no more work...There are 3 of us they are laying off the end of December bc our jobs wont be in the budget for 2010. I'll be 8 months pregnant at that time so that's fine with me. and I am NOT coming back to work here after I have the baby, I'm going to go to school and get a better job. I said nothing bad about the company I work for. My boss came up and said "Giving you a heads up that my boss is on the phone with her boss over something you put on Facebook". I honestly didn't care bc I said nothing bad. My stuff on Facebook is set to private so it was someone on my "friends" list who tried to get me in trouble. I didnt actually get in trouble, yet, but how can I over not saying anyting bad or untrue? 1st Amendment people! There was no slander or libel! What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That is why I don't post anything recognizable, friend coworkers, etc.

Hopefully they will recognize that you KNOW you will be laid off and anything you said is innocent. Good luck.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You had your freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not come without consequences.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Don't worry, and enjoy every minute with your baby.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• oh that is so stupid, lol i mean u were getting laid off anyway ahy are they trippin lol
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• People are fired all the time over things they put on their facebook and that their bosses see. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to the workplace, where there can be codes of conduct. Don't be so stupid about it next time.
    Anonymous

• Freedom of speech just means that the government won't come put you in jail for saying something they don't like. It doesn't mean that you can say whatever you want without somebody somewhere getting pissy about it. It is a good thing that nothing you said was signifcant enough to get you in trouble. Ever think the company doesn't want their customers to know they are laying off people. Maybe they don't want their creditors to know. It might effect their interest rates. Or maybe one your friends would rather be on the lay off list and isn't. Sometimes it is better to protect your right to privacy than your freedom of speech.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the rules of your workplace. When I worked at Wal-mart is specifically said in the handbook that we weren't allowed to discuss work matters outside of work (or even with each other). Not that anyone paid any attention to it but we could have been fired for simply complaining about how crappy our jobs were in the breakroom and if we had put something on facebook or whatever we could have gotten into trouble.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it is important to have freedom of speach, I also think it is important to be professional. I do not mix work with facebook ever! Even if you didn't say anything slanderous, you should just not comment about your place of business at all.
    Anonymous

• It just really aggravates me that people would be so immature. We are considered "temps" bc the big main bosses are too cheap to actually add another dept to do what we do so we are actually thru a temp service and have been doing this job for about 2 1/2 years so since we're on "temp status" that can actually get rid of us anytime.
    EVERYBODY already knows that they are getting rid of us and we've actually had 3 big layoffs this year...it's a big company with 4 different facilities in the US.
    I just needed to vent because someone "thought": they could get me in trouble over something stupid where I wasnt even trying to put something on there bad about the company...Hell the reason I look forward to getting laid off in Decemeber is bc Im pregnant and cranky and tired and I wont have to get up a 7am and drag ass all day at work and I'll actually get a few weeks of "vacation" as I see it, before tha baby gets here.
    Anonymous

• You are free to say what you wish. Others are free to react as they choose. What you did what quit immature. When you complete your education and search for a job, you will be asked to provide references from former employers; sadly, you will not be unable to use this employer.
    Remember, there is no privacy on the internet.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009