ATHEISM

Just wondering if this the main reason why people become atheist??? This is a quote I found...

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today... is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is simply what an unbelieving world finds unbelievable.

7257PamLaFs

Asked by 7257PamLaFs at 1:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think so. Thinking people are atheists because it's foolish to believe in an invisible being with supreme powers. People invented god to make sense of lifeand death and to make people behave.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It's why self-centered Christians want to believe atheists become atheists. The negative attitude doesn't do anything to convince your local agnostic though.
    Anonymous

• Don't think it's the main reason for most, but it certainly can be for some of us. I can only speak for myself, but I think it is part of the reason I became atheist. Certainly not the biggest part though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I was born that way, never had to "become" one. and no, it's not about Christianity. I don't reject your deity any more vigorously than I do the thousands of others.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• That's not the definition of an Atheist.
    If you want to learn a little about it here's a link..

http://www.atheists.org/atheism/history_of_atheism
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• No, it's not the reason but it sure doesn't help. It was because of attitudes like that I started thinking harder on my belief system which eventually lead to my atheism. Same thing with my dad (who is agnostic). But, no, it wasn't the main reason. The main reason was my own logic. A higher power makes no logical sense to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It's not the reason for atheism but it does reaffirm that morality is not dependent upon religion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• No.  The reason I'm an atheist is because the concept of a god is absurd.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• blinders and self reliance as well as discouraged by others.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous
    blinders and self reliance as well as discouraged by others.

If you are stating these as reasons for atheism you are sadly mistaken and only show the blinders you, yourself have. Not only in regards to other people's beliefs but no doubt in regards to your own as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009