natural birth moms

k. i was wondewring was your so supportive of having a natural birth?
i didnt have a natural births but i had no support from dh nor my doctors and nurses. with my first i got stuck at 4 cm and they broke my water and gave me piticion i had been in labor for 8 hrs, i manage to hall the epi till i was almost 7 cm but my dh was like just get the epi and the nurses ke[pt coming in my room asking me if i was going to get it. funny thing was they put in worng so and hour after the out in they took it out. and i still had 3 more hrs to go before i go to 10. as for my second, i was planning on going all natural cuz i had sucha bad experienced with my first. i was 4cm and my water had broken on its own but it broke at 5 am and it was 11 am and i was having no contactions so agian pitiocin. i was gonna try the natural way. but agian dh wasnt supportive at all, plus they put me next to alday who was having all natural birth and she

piwife

Asked by piwife at 2:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• cont.. she was screaming so after that i got scared . dh wa slike look your getting the epi. he even wnet and found the anesthisiologist. i must say. i was able to sleep relaly good, and dh was glad. i think he wnated me to get the epi cuz with our first he got no sleep what so ever. lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i'm sorry that happened to you :(

it can be very difficult to have a natural birth if you are in a hospital that is not supportive. it sounds like that was the case for you. it's a lot easier if you are in a hospital where you don't have the monitor strapped around your belly, no IV, and you are free to move around as you wish. also where you won't be given pitocin just because things aren't going along with their clock.

i suggest you join some groups here on cafemom, like the natural pregnancy and birth group, or the natural birth in a hospital group. and read some books like "thinking woman's guide to a better birth", "ina may's guide to childbirth", and "pushed" by jennifer block.

my husband was pretty supportive. have you shown your husband some of the risks of medicated birth?

it might also help if you stayed at home until your labor was well underway. for example, going 6 hours after cont
    Anonymous

• cont

your water broke is totally normal. if it were me, i would probably stay at home until my labor did start and then just tell my OB my water broke an hour ago and my labor started right away :P

good luck sweetie i'm sorry you have so little support but maybe you can find a hospital that is more supportive and bring dh over to your side by showing him the benefits of natural birth.
    Anonymous

• i have three daughters and i planned a natural birth with my third. i filled out the birth plan so that noone would offer me any pain meds.i did end up getting some demerol but it was of my own accord. and it didnt really help anyway. but i went through it naturally i had a great nurse who helped me through the whole thing. (if you dont like your nurse you can request a different one)and my husband was great too. i guess your support system really does matter.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I didn't want an IV or an epidural so I went to 2 different childbirth classes with my first and traveled an hour so I could have a nurse midwife delivery in a birth center.

By the time I had my second I had taken childbirth educator training. I wanted a home birth but lived in a state where that became not possible. I choose a doctor and hospital that had a birth center. I lived in a different city. I actually had an unassisted delivery. My husband and doctor sat across the darkened room and I squatted on the bed and my son was born on the bed along with the bag of water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i suggest you join some groups here on cafemom, like the natural pregnancy and birth group, or the natural birth in a hospital group. and read some books like "thinking woman's guide to a better birth", "ina may's guide to childbirth", and "pushed" by jennifer block.
    .
    I would but am done having kids. 2 is enough lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• once you read some more about how to deal with pain in childbirth in the books i mentioned i think you will be more confident.

i screamed, well i'd say shouted a lot during my labor, but that was just one of my ways to deal with the pain. :) it really wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. well you know what the pain is like since your first epi didn't work, but if you have ways to deal with the pain like moving around, getting in water, etc, you will be in A LOT LESS pain. :)

talk to your dh ahead of time and tell him it is your decision and you do not want him to mention epi that if you want one YOU will ask.
    Anonymous

• lol. ok i thought you were asking for advice... :)

Anonymous

• My third birth was high risk. I was very ill, near death. I had pneumonia and broken ribs and was 36 weeks along. I had been in the hospital for weeks. I had picked an OB that was good with high risk and low intervention. I had an induced labor but an amazingly eazy laby and birth with no epidural.

It turned out to be a good thing I never planned on having an epidural. I had to have a spinal tap and found out I was one of the few women that can't have an epidural due to a problem with my spine. They couldn't do the spinal tap and I had to have a special procedure done in radiology for them to get spinal fluid.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• How to have a birth without interventions: go to childbirth class, hire a doula, go to a CNM or doctor that does births without interventions, have a homebirth if possible, labor at home as long as possible, have a birth center birth if possible, have a water birth if possible, have a hospital birth as last choice. If you go to a hospital choose one that does births without interventions. If that's not possible then remember it's your body and you can do what you want.

Birth plans are good for you and your doula but usually they are a joke for doctors and hospitals.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009