Constipated 3 weeks old baby. I need help!!!!

I had my son almost 3 weeks ago. He has only pooped about once a day for about 3 days. He's not happy. I'm not really what to do. I know your not supposed to give them some things because they're so little and young, but he really needs to poop. What can I do to help him?

Payan04

Asked by Payan04 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think once a day is normal...if it looks like he's trying really hard to push it out that's normal too.
    Anonymous

• If he's pooping once a day, he's not constipated. DO NOT give him anything!
    Anonymous

• What makes you think he needs to poop? Is he breast or bottle fed?

If your baby is breastfed he should have 2-5 stools a day. If he is only having one then you should breastfeed more often. If he is sleeping for long periods you should wake him to feed him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son only pooped every 3-4 days. I called the doctor and he told me some babies don't poop as often and it's perfectly normal for him. He's only constipated if you see him struggling to poop and if the poop is very dry. I think once a day is fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• if ithere's one thing i've learned from having kids, it's to NOT wake them up to feed them, unless it's been 3 1/2-4hrs. i was the first time mom that knew about babies and kids but newborns are a totally different story. the doctors told me to wake him to feed him ever 2 hours, so, not knowing any better, i did. then when he got into the habit of waking every 2 hours, every mom i talked to couldn't believe i actually did that. every one of them said to LET THEM SLEEP lol. like i always say, you learn with the first. so when the second one came along i knew what i was doing :)
    Anonymous

• Breastfed babies will often go ten days without a bowel movement

Answer by rkoloms at 3:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Breastfed babies should have 2-5 stools a day until they are 6 weeks old. As they get older they have fewer stools. If you don't have a baby scale the number of stools is the only way to tell if your baby is getting enough. If your baby is 3 weeks old and is only having one stool a day your HAVE to feed the baby more. If the baby is sleeping that means you HAVE to wake the baby up.

If you have a baby scale then you can weigh the baby to make sure the baby is gaining. If you let a 3 week old baby go 10 days without a stool you will probably have a dead baby.

A good website for breastfeeding is www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I thought my daughter was constipated at that age but her poop was still the same, not hard at all, and I figured out she was trying to fart. Now she is almost 2 months old and she has mastered farting. Are your SURE she is constipated?
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• He is not constipated unless his poop is somewhat solid. If it isn't it is completely normal for him to be doing this. My 2 month old still does this every now and again. What it is is that when they push to go poo, they tighten their butthole closed so nothing ends up happening. They don't quite know how it all works yet, not to mention their ab muscles aren't very strong. By 2 months they usually figure it out. My son had the EXACT same problem until about a week or so ago...now I think he knows how it goes. Try pumping his legs and bicycling them...that worked for me. Other than that you just have to wait it out. Once a day is not bad. My son's pediatrician told me all of this by the way so I'm not just making it up. If his poop is hard though, than call his doctor because that is considered actual constipation.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009