How do I decide what to get rid of?

My son is a not very developed (speech and emotion wise) 3 year old but I need to clean out and make room for new toys. We haven't done a clean out since we did the baby toys (for around a 1 year old) and we really need to before the holidays. How do other mothers decide what to get rid of? When I think he is done with a toy, and he hasn't played with it for over a month, all of the sudden he pulls it out and is playing with it again. Help please?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 3:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I clear out my son's toys every few months ( because he is constantly getting new toys), All I do is take out stuff he hasn't played with in about 3-4mnths and pack it away in a box. ( out of sight of course) I will wait a day or two to make sure he doesn't actually miss anything and then I take it to the Salvation Army. This has worked well for me. My son is 8 now. Do not get your child involved in the process because he will convince you he will miss anything you take and you will never get rid of the clutter.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 3:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Oh and should I include him in the process or just do it while he isn't home?
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Just get rid of what he doesn't play with, what is broken or missing pieces. Don't include him, he'll never notice what's gone. I do it all the time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Get rid of anything not developmentally appropriate.

Does he have one of those boxes that you put the different shaped blocks into the right hole? Has he been doing it correctly for a year now? Then get rid of it.

Ask yourself questions like that for all of the toys you go through. Have they already served their purpose...has he already conquered the challenge?

The only exception I would make to those questions are books, and things that teach letters, numbers, and words.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I get rid of age inappropriate toys, broken toys or just things he doesn't play with anymore when my son is sleeping. He doesn't miss them that way. If you don't ever get rid of the older things then it seems the whole house fills up.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• We do a clean out every 6 months (christmas and birthdays happen to fall about 6 months apart). Anything they have outgrown and that is broken or missing important pieces is gotten rid of. I make a point to include my kids and even have them go with me when we take them to the Salvation Army.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If its broken or pieces are missing or super worn out...its gone.
    If they havent played with it in more than a month...its gone even if they pull it out of the blue one day because I know its not going to last and will end up forgotten again.

If Im doing a major clean out then everything goes except 1-2 items per child that I know are super special and used by them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I just go through them and see whats got peices missing, is broke, or is crappy. I throw these away. Any that he has clearly outgrown goes into storage for the next kid we might have.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2009