Is there some kind of rule to not be friends with your SO's ex wife?

Everyone thinks I'm crazy for being friends with my SO's ex wife. I like her, she likes me. We get along and occasionally txt. When I tell ppl that it makes my life and my SO's life a lot easier that she and I get along, they look at this disapprovingly... Is there some kind of rule that you're not supposed to be friends with your SO's ex? My SO is happy that we get along, and so is she and I. But just thought I would ask.

Amy75972

Asked by Amy75972 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• nothing wrong with it im friends with my ex fiances current wife....its better we all get along and not hold grudges it makes for a happier place
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I'm not friends with my ex's girlfriend but we are on a friendly basis. I think she is a good person and is good with my son so I have no problem with her. People think I am nuts to get along with my ex husband to...lol. I have wondered about the rule to..lol
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think you are being really mature about the whole thing. If an ex-wife and new wife get along it makes life so much esier . ANd if they can't , it seems really selfish and immature. So-you're doing the right thing by being friendly! ;-) And,in a different situation, I am friendly with my son's ex -wives,and that's because there are grandchildren. Plus, we are just trying to be nice people!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Nothing wrong with it if it works for you. But always be on guard. I was friends with my first husbands wife for over 20 years, until last year, when we had a disagreement over my daughter (who was 25 then) and the whole thing blew up and we don't talk anymore. You can be friends, just always be careful how much information you give out, don't talk too much about your husband and DO NOT start comparing anything!
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009