Is there some kind of rule to not be friends with your SO's ex wife?

Everyone thinks I'm crazy for being friends with my SO's ex wife. I like her, she likes me. We get along and occasionally txt. When I tell ppl that it makes my life and my SO's life a lot easier that she and I get along, they look at this disapprovingly... Is there some kind of rule that you're not supposed to be friends with your SO's ex? My SO is happy that we get along, and so is she and I. But just thought I would ask.

Amy75972

Asked by Amy75972 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ha. i think its a wonderful thing! it shows the two of u have two wonderful hearts! great personality..
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 3:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• nope nothing wrong with it at all!!! I'm friends with my husbands ex-wife. I've known her my whole life and we still talk and get along great!! it actually makes family life easier!
    LovingMyGirl84

Answer by LovingMyGirl84 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think that, especially if there are children involved, it is great that you and her get along. Forget what everyone else thinks...so long as she isn't being the two-faced ex that is your "friend" while trying to get back with your hubby, then why not?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I wish that my husband's ex wife and I got along so well. They have one child that is in my husband's and my home most of the time. We used to get along, then she started flaking out on my stepson a lot and she got angry because I wouldn't defend her when she went partying instead of going to the baseball games. But I have a friend (ironically my husband's first ever serious girlfriend) that has a stepson. Her family and her stepson's mother go on vacations together and have a family dinner once a week together. It works so well for them I am so jealous! And I have another friend that lives (in like a little addon apartment) with his ex wife and her current husband. That way he is still very involved in their daughters life. if it works for you, own it. Don't let anyone make you feel bad because they are jealous.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Oh yes, there is totally a rule against that. You're supposed to act catty around her, put her down whenever her name is mentioned and fly off into a jealous rage whenever hubby gets near her (like to exchange kids), and if you happen to see her in the bar, you must get drunk and start a fight with her (but only because it's HER fault and SHE started it!

At least thats how it works around here. Lucky for me, my dh had no kids with his first wife and they haven't spoken since the day the divorce was final.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• no.. especially if there are children involved I think its a good idea to at least try to be civil/friendly with them.
    I know that when my ex gets into another relationship I want to be able to be polite/friendly with his new girlfriend/wife/whatever. And I hope that he and whoever I end up with will be ok with eachother too.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I thnk that its great that you guys get along. I think so many people are used to the ex and the current SO not getting along that they find it strange when they do.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009