why does she keep asking for money when she knows we dont have it?

my MIL called 6 times today asking for money being my husband got paid yesterday..he was laid off for 2 months so now we are playing catch up on bills and we had to borrow from my mom to cover the utilities we had a shut off notice ...but mil keeps asking for money even though she knows my dh didnt get a full check...and he is working over time this pay period so we can get caught up on bills and get my mom paid back cause she couldnt really afford to help us out...mil acts like we are rich, and she brought up that shouldnt of got the kids a new radio but it was their money they sold some of their toys and old clothes to buy it and only was 20 bucks...so now my dh is upset caused his mom is pissed at us for not giving her 200 to cover her bounced check cause she gave money to his drug addicted sister....any advice?

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• You don't owe her money. She needs to get a job...or two. What's this about a druggie sister? SHe needs to go to rehab. OMG....this makes my whole family and in-laws seem too perfect. LOL. Sounds like a few of your family members need therapy. Sorry,but that's how it seems by what you are telling us.
    Anonymous

• jsut focus on your bills and dont let her guilt u. be kind and tell her you really can not help her at this time and get off the phone and avoid her calls for a few days.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Your MIL is an adult. You borrowed money when you were in need...she wants to borrow money because she was irresponsible. You need to take care of your family and your debts first before you can lend anyone anything.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• your hubby needs to talk to her
    maybe explaining that he needs to make sure his immediate family is taken care of and is his first priority( ie. you, him and your kids)
    He needs to explain that to her and its not his fault she bounced a check cashed by her own daughter....thats something between her, her daughter, and her bank account.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You are doing the right thing. You have to take care of your obligations first, and if there is nothing left you can't give it to her. You can be polite and say something like you wish you could help but you are still playing catch up with your own bills. I'm sure your husband knows what is really going on and he knows you don't have the money to give her. The best thing you can do is stay civil and maybe tell her to talk to your husband when you don't want to deal with her (it is his mom after all). I do understand your frustration - my MIL only calls when she needs money and my husband usually gives it to her (we can afford it, but it still irritates me).
    Anonymous

• i know i u feel i think we fork out about 500 dollars a month to my mil and she actually makes more money then us. then if we dont do it she is mad and tries to tell us how to spend our money... but just ignore it ....she will come back around and get over it
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I feel for you. We've had to deal with that too. You're doing the right thing and being responsible. She did something very dumb and it's her problem to deal with.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• not my family lol my husbands
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• oh and mil job is delivering newspapers she has like 8 routes and gets bout 700 a month she deliverers from 12 am to 8 am and then another route in the afternoon from 1230pm to 4 pm she has to walk most of the routes she says she cant get a real job cause of her bad knee and sis and law and her hubby use drugs and wont work...i actually banned sil and her hubby from my house when they came over last year for a cook out and hubby was so stoned he passed out in his food...and my dh went over there once to drop some food off and seen a spoon with liquid in it and and the bottom of the spoon was burnt and hd bunch of needles on the table..they were reported to cps and not sure whats happening with that
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I never associate with people who ask for money so I don't have that problem. I don't ask people for money unless its a serious emergency and only if its my parents, I sell things at a yard sale if money is that tight. I cut people out of my life for being leeches....its not healthy to ask your child for money.
    Anonymous