How can I completely break the co-sleeping habit w/my partially bf 13mo old son?

I have co-slept w/my son since he was 10 days old & he was fully bf until several mos ago I started weaning him once I found out I was pregnant again. He has never taken a bottle & Im happy w/that, he drinks from a sippy cup w/a built in straw which he loves. During the day he is fine but @ naptime & bedtime he wants to be bf for a few minutes, it puts him right to sleep. I have almost completely broke the naptime feeding but @ night once I get him to sleep I put him in his crib right beside my bed ( started about 2wks ago ) & he sleeps about half the night then wakes up hysterical!! He wont take his sippy cup or any patting/rubbing/soft singing/etc. He wont stop until he gets in bed w/me & is bf. I will admit its difficult for me to break the habit as well since he is my 1st & we have a bond but I am ready to do this b/c Im 3.5mos prego w/health problems & Im really exhausted & could use the sleep @ night. Any suggestions?

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not a habit, it's a need. You are exhausting yourself. Just nurse him back to sleep and put him back in his bed next to yours or leave him in your bed. Co-sleeping is important for moms with health problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would love to stay co-sleeping w/him but my hubby gets upset. He says if I dont break the habit now then when the new baby comes im going to have a bad situation on my hands?
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You can co-sleep with two. It shouldn't be hard at all since he will let you put him in a bed next to you.

It's not a habit. Babies and toddlers are hard wired in their brains to sleep with their mothers. They had to to survive until very recent times. In most places around the world babies and toddlers sleep with their mothers. Mothers form other places can't imagine putting their baby in a 'cage' in another room.

You might try going to the Mothering Magazine discussion boards. There are co-sleeping moms there and if you are dead set on getting him out of your bed there are probably moms there that have done it. www.mothering.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You do know the rule about husbands? They can say what they want, but most of it has to be ignored. **grin**

There is a FANTASTIC article on transitioning from the family bed over on drjaygordon.com, if you really want to do it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• We coslept with two. Not for long, but it wasn't because it didn't work. The drjaygordon.com article IS really good, and it works.

I don't want to presume, but if you think you HAVE to wean because you're pregnant, you don't. There is some misinformation about breastfeeding causing miscarriages because it causes uterine contractions. So does sex. And you can have sex while pregnant. :) If that's the only reason, you might want to let it go for now.

So many people are worried about creating a problem down the road. I have found that there's always a problem down the road, and I'd rather deal with it if it comes up down the road, than assume I know what the problem will be. I used to worry about how I was going to transition our youngest to a different bed. Boy, was that stupid. She PREFERRED a different bed. I could have started before she was ready, but waiting was best for us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2009