baby gates for cats?

Is there a good baby gate that might work for a cat? Maybe one that is very tall? I wont throw my cat outside because I don't want him to get eaten or hit by a car, but he keeps peeing on my baby's stuff. Yes is is neutered and no he does not have a urinary tract infection. He is just being a territorial jerk. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pets

• LOL We tried baby gates with our cats - - first one gate, then 2 stacked on top of each other, and finally 3 gates - they went all the way to the ceiling at that point and 1 of the cats still managed to get to the other side!! I agree with firewinky - it sounds like a territory issue combined with all the stress of a new baby. I've used the rescue remedy drops and it worked great! There are other similar products, too - until the stress-relief meds kick in, unfortunately, you'll have to be extra vigilant about watching the cat since there's no way to keep kitty out of baby's room. Good luck!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• THAT DAM CAT KEEPS PEEING ON THE BABBY STUFF U NEED TO GET RIDE OF IT BECOUSE IT WANT STOP DOING IT , I HAD A CAT LIKE THAT AND I TRIED EVERY THANG AND I FINLY GOT RIDE OF THE DAM CAT AND MY HOUSE IS FINLY SMELLING BETTER ! U JUST WASTING YOUR TIME AND YOUR MONEY GETING A BABBY GATE IT WONT WORK IT JUST FIND A NOTHER SPOT TO PEE ON AND IT WILL STAR SHITING ON YOUR STUFF TOO .
    Anonymous

• I don't take advice from from ignorant people that can't spell... sorry. Next answer please.

Anonymous

• Have you checked pet stores for pet gates? Friends of mine got a really nice one for not too much money at a pet supply store (sorry, not sure what one).
    Anonymous

• No I haven't because I really didn't even think to do that, but good idea!
    Anonymous

• If you have not taken him to the vet recently then i would recommend doing so. If maynot be that he has bladder infection there coulf be another issue ans this is his way of telling you. I have never known a baby gate to work for a cat unless they have joint problems. I would suggest keeping the babies door shut at this point. I would get a a comfort zone with feliway plug in because that may help if this is a behavioral issue. You might also consider trying medication. After running tests and trying all of the bahavior modifications i tried prozac(there are several differant ones to try) and it made a huge differance with my cat Winnie. Talk to your vet about this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If the cat is peeing on your babies stuff I'm guessing your right that it's a terrioral issue...since it isn't just anywhere. And since you said "baby" and not toddler i'm guessing it's a new addition. The cat is stressed because of the new situation (ie new family member). I would start with keeping babys room and clothes...etc...away from his area...in fact I would keep him in one single room (ie..bathroom) at first...make sure he's only using the litterbox and then open it up a little further...(like a week or more in between)...There is a great product out called rescue remedy...it's for stressed animals...it might help his behavior until the new addition doesn't cuz anymore stress...look at it from his view...and new little being that cries, wakes up in middle of night, has you running around, there is alot of new stuff around the house, and prolly has you stressed out a bit...(he can feel that)..
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The peeing is his way of telling the baby that it's his house and that's why he's marking on that stuff...covering the baby's smell...and anything new that doesn't have a smell he might mark too (again saying to the baby that it's his)...by putting him out of the main picture and then REINTRODUCING the cat to the household it might help (i'd also use the rescue remedy to help along with this method)
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I wish I could keep the doors closed, unfortunatley our house is very old and the doors can easily be pushed open, they do not latch. So that's not really an option, plus I don't feel comfortable leaving my baby's bedroom door closed at night. Thank you for everyone's help, I did actually find a very tall baby gate that I am going to try, if I keep him with his litter box and food hopefully he wont be tempted to try and jump over.
    Anonymous

• I think the cat could go over just about any baby gate, yolu might try some sort of interior screen door or something like that. I hope you can find something that works, and Anon 12:47 needs an attitude adjustment. (Not to mention a few spelling lessons.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2009