I just had to stop breastfeeding at 10 months and new to formula.

How many oz. of formula should she be eating at 10 months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told with all of my kids that at that age they should be drinking at least 32 oz of formula a day, but not more than 40 - unless they're on a special diet, which none of mine were.
    Anonymous

• at this point u should just see how much she wants to drink. there is no set amount. some babies are drinking 8 oz by this age. my son is 10 months and he will only drink 6 oz at a time, sometimes even less. i just make a 6 oz bottle, offer it to him, and let him drink as much as he wants. like i said there's no set amount so there' s no need to worry if she drinks 4 oz one time, 6 another, or if she wants 8 oz every time. if she's new to bottles u might need to burp her every few ounces, or she might just burp on her own. my son drinks a bottle every 3-4 hours, but every baby is different. if she is hungry after like an hour, increase the amount you offer at a feeding so she gets enough
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It depends on how much your baby eats. I would try to feed the baby as much nutritious real food, not baby food, as possible so I had to give her as little formula as possible and start giving baby vitamins.

Why would you 'have' to stop brestfeeding? Only 2 months to go.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• As I am already having a very hard time accepting the fact that I can not breastfeed anymore it was not a choice, for some reason I am not producing any milk anymore. But thank you for being nosey.
    Anonymous

• thanks for the answer butterflysky
    Anonymous

• thank you anon, very helpful.
    Anonymous

• MY FIRST WAS FF. ASHE DRAN 4 8 OZ BOTTLES. SO START WITH 5 MAYBE AND SEE IF HE WNATS MORE
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You don't just stop producing milk for no reason. If that is the case then you need to see a doctor, now. Something is seriously wrong with you. I'm talking possible brain tumor or some other problem that affects your hormone system. If my being nosey saves your life then it's worth it. I've known two women that had brain tumors, it happens.

If your supply just became low from not nursing enough you can increase it by nursing more or pumping. You can get a Medela Pump in Style for $25 on Craigslist in Tucson. They are supposed to be single user pumps but if you were concerned you wouldn't have to feed her the milk. You could just use it to increase your supply.

The other way your supply becomes low is pregnancy. If that's the case, congratulations!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• "for some reason I am not producing any milk anymore. "

That can be overcome, if you want. Your choice, of course. But 99% of the women who've told me over the past decade that they weren't producing milk any more actually WERE...they just were looking for the wrong things.

If you want to know more, feel free to message me.

Formula amount info is on the can. But the rule of thumb for breastfeeding applies here: whatever baby wants.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• wow congrats on breastfeeding for 10 months, I don't personally know anyone that has ever even nursed for that long. It doesn't surprise me that people are giving you a hard time about stopping though lol that's cafe mom for you! As for how much your baby should be eating It depends on how much they want to eat! Good luck!
    Anonymous