I took my daughter off the bottle 3 days ago and she is still refusing to drink milk out of a sippy cup. She will drink water and juice out of the cup but if she sees that it is milk she pushes it away. I am a little concerned because she is not drinking as much as usual and she just seem upset all the time. How long is this going to last???

she is 15 months old

KPlunk

Asked by KPlunk at 3:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She doesn't need to drink milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It takes time. My toddlers didn't take well to milk in a sippy for a long time when I took away bottles. My pediatrician suggested I try adding flavorings, but they just wouldn't have it. I gave them plenty of cheese and yogurt and kept offering the milk. They eventyually decided to take the milk.
    Anonymous

• Milk tends to be a bit thicker, especially since I assume you are using whole milk. It may be that he is having a hard time getting the milk out of that particular cup and is getting frustrated. Perhaps try a few different cups for milk. Keep offering it, and in the meantime, give lots of calcium and vitamin D rich foods. Just be consistent and play around abit with the cups until you maybe find one he likes better. Good luck!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• She doesn't need milk, and juice should be an occasional treat.

cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• She is not a cow baby and does not need cows milk at all, the nutrients found in milk can be found in other types of food.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i wouldnt worry about it they dont need to drink milk.
    I dont know if you breastfed or not but the reason they have you breastfeed or give so much formula up till a year is that they need the vitamins and minerals for nuterional purposes but once they are eating foods they are getting all that through their diet.
    just make sure you are feeding her a well balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies and find other ways to get calcium and fiber and all of that.
    Anonymous

• My oldest did the same thing. I think he was around 4 or 5 before he discovered milk in a regular cup. He just drank water, water and water. He wasn't a juice kid, so my others aren't either. Only my youngest ever drank milk from a sippy. As long as baby drinks plenty of water and gets enough calcium from other foods (cheeses, yogurts, etc) she should be fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• dont worry, there is other ways to get calcium. my dd dint start drinking milk till she was 31 mts. she loves cheese and yougurt plus now days alot of things have added calcium
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I bought a few different types of sippy cups with my son trying to figure out which one he liked best. He turned out liking the take n' toss ones from Walmart, (they come 4 or 5 in a pack) and he drinks everything from them. It took a little trying to get him to drink milk from something other than a bottle.

If she likes drinking milk and you drink milk in your home (we do) then maybe try a different sippy cup. Or they have those take n' toss ones with straws.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 4:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I had the same problem with my son. I just kept giving him his sippy with milk in it and one day for his nap he decided he wanted it badly enough to drink it. It was actually easier than I thought it would be.
    JessieSkye

Answer by JessieSkye at 5:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2009