So if paternal grandparents don't like the mother, they can take it out on the child?

So I have a question for all the single moms and paternal grandparents out there. As a mother, is it my job to facilitate a relationship between my son and his paternal grandparents, when they want NOTHING to do with him? My son is 8 months and they have seen him once. Whereas my son's daughter with another woman is nearly a year and gets all the attention in the world from them.-

luvububee

Asked by luvububee at 3:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• a parent can have the communication door open but not their responsibility to make sure they have an established relationship

Anonymous

• It is not your job to facilitate the relationship between you son and the grandparents. If they are going to be this way, it's probably best for your son that he doesn't develp a relationship with them. My son doesn't have any relationship with his paternal grandparents, and now that i divorced, i'm glad for that, b/c the whole family is crazy!
    Anonymous

• Honestly I have always strongly felt that It is NOT the parents job to make sure family members such as grandparents are maintaining a relationship w/the child!? If they cant manage to have a relationship or don't desire to then that's their problem/loss not yours! Its best not to force the issue b/c as badly as it hurts or as angry as it might make you in the long run its always best to avoid relationships that are unhealthy & in my opinion the child is better off w/being surrounded by people that love him & is continuously in their life willingly. Disliking one of the parents is a very immature excuse/reason to make the child pay the price....pathetic actually.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• To answer the question, NO they cannot ...unless they have an axe to grind with the Mom,I suppose. If they don't want to see the grandchild, that is their problem. I wouldn't force the issue .
    Anonymous