Atheist Bible Question

Many atheists say they will let their children chose for themselves if they want to believe in God, but why do you feel upset if someone gives your kid a Bible or tell them the Bible is not true?

Do you really want them to be atheist? Will you teach them why you feel the Bible is wrong? Will you tell them there is proof of evolution and science contradicts the Bible?

Or will you tell them there is evidence on both sides, and people believe different things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have no desires for my childs spiritual beliefs...how could I?! What their spiritual takes them on is solely for them and them alone. There is nothing I could do or say or "hide" them from that would influence their spiritual path. It is within their own hearts...they just have to learn to understand it's language.
    I would not appreciate someone giving my child a bible WITHOUT asking me first....just as I wouldn't appreciate someone giving my child a piece of cake before dinner time without asking me first.It's about resepcting how I parent. I would have no problem with them asking first OR giving ME the bible for me to discuss it with them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I'm not Athiest. But I would be very upset if anyone felt they had the right to go against whatever teachings I was giving my child. As for us we are not teaching any religion and have made if very clear that anyone that does will have no part of their lives. It would be very much like a Christian child being told that the bible is wrong or a Christian family teaching that the bible's teaching disproove science.

Many people teach their beliefs to their children and allow them to find their own path later in life. In fact I think most do. But most Athiests I know don't go around bible bashing. Lack of religion isn't anti-religion or anti-christianity. It's simply that, lack of.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Sabrina, I was asking atheists an honest question. I understand what you are saying.

But the question is really for atheists, do THEY want their children to be atheists?

Anonymous

• I want my child to find the same happiness I have whether it's with atheism or not. No one has ever given my child a bible so I can't say I'd be upset if they were given one. I help them research as much as they want, but if they ask me I won't lie to them. I will tell them I feel the bible is a work of fiction like any other mythology book out there. But also that just because I think that doesn't mean I'm right. I will have them read it and decide for themselves. If it's what calls to them I won't stand in the way of that. They love Veggie Tales and we do have some Alice in Bibleland books. But to them that's all they are right now.. stories. Not because I told them that, but because that's what books are at their age fictional stories. They are too young for biographies and such.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The reason it is offensive is because it is an underhanded way of criticizing the parenting skills of another. When my children are old enough and begin asking questions I will answer them the best I can while pointing them towards where they can find the answers for themselves. If they ask about Christianity I will give them a Bible as well as take them to a church so that they might speak to a pastor/priest. I will explain that different people believe different things for different reasons and it is up to them as individuals to discover what they believe and why.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ideally, yes. I would prefer my children have the same beliefs as me and my husband; not just religious beliefs but social and political beliefs as well. I'd love it if my kids were liberals who fought hard for civil rights for others too. But, they are their own people and will grow and evolve on their own path which may be wildly different from mine. I may PREFER them to hold similiar beliefs as me, but that doesn't mean that I would force a round peg into a square hole either. Our ultimate goal (mine and my husband's) is to raise healthy and happy humans, not little atheist clones of ourselves. Anything beyond healthy and happy is gravy.
    Anonymous

• Another adult taking it upon themselves to give someone else's child a bible is not letting them learn on their own, it's letting a stranger indoctrinate them without providing any historical or factual context.
    Anonymous

• im a satanist, but i dont believe in any gods so im also an atheist..i would prefer for my son to be an atheist, but i wont be mad if he chooses to believe in any god...i get mad when people give my son a bible because hes to young to even know what religion is, and i should be the one to teach him about ALL religions i can.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• in a perfect world, religion would have no room for existence. however, its not a perfect world.

understanding that some people NEED a higher power (for whatever reason), far be it from me to stand in their way, but i also do not want my children indoctrinated. they may be exposed to whatever they wish, when they are mature enough to make informed decisions about religion, and follow the bath best suited to their purpose. until then, it is my job as their mother, to shelter them from things that are harmful, including (but not limited to) religion.
    that said, i also do not force MY beliefs on them either, we simply do not discuss religion in depth in our house- and will not, until the children are older.
    what they do know is that there are many different religions, different gods, and some people (like me) do not believe in any of them... all of these things are ok, its a personal decision.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Of course I would be delighted if my daughter chose to be an agnostic atheist, or even just agnostic like her dad. But I want her to be happy. I'm not going to go out of my way to push her into atheism or any other belief system. When SHE comes to ME, I'll teach her what I know and help her research what I don't.

If someone handed her a bible, I'd kindly hand it back to them and say no thanks. That is an outside presence trying to indoctrinate her into THEIR belief system. It is not her seeking it out herself.

Of course I'm going to teach her that evolution is correct. To me it's the only possible explanation, there is nothing else. I plan to attend anthropology/archaeology school while she's in school, so I'll teach her what I'm learning when I can. In the end, though, I want her to make up her own mind. Trying to force her to be an atheist would be like what my parents did--forced me to be a Christian.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2009