To cut or not to cut? (episiotomy)

So I'm going to be giving birth for the 3rd time in Feb. and I'm going for a very diffrent birth plan this time. The first two I didn't specify much of anything including whether or not I was OK with an episiotomy. Needless to say I had one both times. So I'm writing my birth plan now and trying to go as natural as possible, I've done some research and found out most epi's are avoidable and there are ways to avoid them and help stretch the perineum (compresses, oil etc). So at first I was thinking I would say I didn't want one unless I was going to tear bad, but then I got to thinking... if you do get one wouldn't that mean you won't stretch as bad and will possibly be tighter afterwards? Maybe TMI, but I'm already worried about being kinda loose sex wise after birth #3 which isn't the best thought in the world.So do you guys know if I do get the epi will I be tighter afterwards b/c cutting keeps you from stretching so much?

shawneewaiting

Asked by shawneewaiting at 4:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would say "no episiotomy unless medically necessary" Like if you start to tear upwards (my sil does that and can't control her urine at all anymore)

Since you have had episiotomies before, there's a good chance your scar tissue might tear still, but it's still better to tear than to cut. Hopefully you won't have to deal with either.
    Anonymous

• I know people will say that there are things you can do so you can avoid one and OK! More power to ya! But just to share my experience, I've done it both ways and the epi w/my 1st was nothing compared to all the stitches I had to have from my 2nd being born so fast that I didn't get an epi... I know mine isn't the usual story but just wanted to throw it out there because TMI to share but suffice it to say that I will never be the same (and you know what I am talking about)!
    Anonymous

• I've had 5 babies and did not have an episiotomy with any of them. My first was huge, and I only had "road rash" - like fissures, but didn't actually tear. With my 2nd, I tore the worst of any - and it wasn't truly bad, only took a few stitches. I had a bit of road rash again with #3, and no problems with 4 or 5 - and my smallest baby was 7 lbs 14 oz. I don't see how having an episiotomy or tearing will have anything to do with how tight your vagina is later, it's all from stretching and you're going to stretch the same amount either way. If you don't want an episiotomy, then by all means write in your plan to avoid it at all costs - by #3, there's not much chance of tearing anyway IMO!
    Anonymous

• i was cut and hated it...one it feels weird... two it bleeds like crazy i had to have a blood transfusion after words... i hated it but i didnt have a choice and was never asked before
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• They sew up tears too...so you can get request the "honeymoon stitch" in the event of a tear.
    Anonymous

• If you stretch without tearing, you don't stay all....loose LMAO. I natural tear heals better than a cut. Also, a natural tear is more likely to not be major. Take a piece of saran wrap. Try to rip it into 2 pieces. Now take another piece of saran wrap and cut a small line in the middle of it. Try to rip it into 2 pieces now...it comes apart easily. Not that our perineums are saran wrap...but it's the same concept.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• NOT cut for me. read pushed by jennifer block. i see no benefits to cutting.

in addition to the birth plan you might also want to be sure you have a good midwife/OB. there is a section in the book "birthing from within" called the birth plan trap, that you might want to read.

good luck! =) i think all natural is awesome.
    Anonymous

• lol the first anon was confused, huh? episiotomy not epidural
    Anonymous

• i didnt get an episiotomy with my only child and i was in labor 5 hours and pushed her out in 15 minutes i did tear on my inner labia though and i will tell you that was painful but my husband says that i am just as tight as before i was pregnant. I have heard from a lot of my friends who just recently had children that after they got the episiotomy since it tore them once they pushed it just kept tearing so i say try to do it without
    Anonymous

• My daughter weighed 8lbs when she was born and the Dr told me I was starting to tear and asked if I wanted her to go ahead and cut me and I told her yeah bc I was in labor and that was the farthest thing from my mind. This time I only want the epi. only if its necessary. I didnt bleed too much and I was sore for a few days but I was fine after about a week.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009