Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

father of the aborted baby

Does the father have any say in a baby being aborted? If he wanted the mother to abort but she refused can he be forced to pay child support or can he sign over his rights at that time?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Answers (17)
  • From what Ive read on here the father has no say in the baby being aborted.
    I'm not sure of the answers on your other questions though. I'm sure he can be forced to pay child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • I dont think the dad has a say in the abortion-not legally atleast--though I think they should

    He could still be forced to pay childsupport---he could sign his rights over when the child is born or if a DNA test was done while the women is pregnant.

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • IF a man finds out his wife/girlfriend/rapevictim is having his child and wants an abortion, he does, in some states have the right to go to court to force her to stop the procedure. However in most of these cases he does have to assume 100% financial support not only of the child but also in the medical care and delivery charges of the mother while pregnant.

    However in cases where the mother does not want to abort and he wants it, he can sign away his rights to that child and escape support charges.

    IF however that child is born and he has supported the mother durring pregnancy, supported the baby in early life OR was supporting the mother prior to pregnancy he can be forced to take financial responcibility if he does not give up his rights DURRING pregnancy.

    There are loop holes in every law, and they differ from state to state. But a good attorney can usually get any man out of child support that early on.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • bumblebee- you seriously believe that men should have the right to force a woman to proceed with a pregnancy that she is prepared to terminate?

    hypothetical scenario- man & woman are married, he is abusive. she wants to leave, he rapes her (only in all but 2 states rape does not exist within the confines of marriage, and he can not be charged) with the intent of impregnating her so that he will have a higher level of control. she finds herself pregnant, wants to terminate, but is stopped by him. now he has a tie to her for the rest of her life- at no fault of her own, she has completely lost control of her future, her body, and her rights.

    things like this happen EVERY DAY, and you mean to say that it should be the right of the sperm donor to determine whether or not to proceed with a pregnancy? absolutely not.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • Personally, I feel that YES, a man should have the right to step in and stop an abortion. A man has the right to step in and stop the adoption process, why not abortion. I'm not saying that he should have the right to make her raise that child. But if he is willing to step in and take all responsibility then yes. He should have that right. There are always sad cases of abuse and rape, even in marriage. But in most cases abortions are preformed for women that consented to sex and don't want to deal with the child. That man is still the father and should have rights. It's takes two to tango! And if he doesn't have the right to force her to abort then she shouldn't have the right to force him to give up the right to his child either. Now, I also feel that if he doesn't take action, there shouldn't be any law stopping her from aborting. But if he should chose to step in and say no - it should be stopped!


    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • I think the father should have the right to say if he does not want the mother to have an abortion. It is his child also after all.

    Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • If the woman wants and abortion and doesn't want to deal with all the drama from the father, she can run of without his knowledge and get one. There is nothing he can do after the fact.

    It's HER body and a man should NOT have the right to force her to go through an unwanted pregnancy. Having a child is not just physical, it's emotional and mental as well. What should we do put her butt in jail for 9 months? Tie her to a bed until she gives birth? How would you even enforce something like that?

    Answer by IhartU at 5:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • In California a father of a born child cannot just sign over parental rights. There has to be a step-parent willing to adopt the child.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 5:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • Legally the father has no rights when it comes to abortion unless they file a lawsuit against the mother or get some kind of court order to stop the abortion if he is willing to take full responsibility after the baby is born and can prove to the court he can do so....

    But for this question.... yes he will have to pay child support if the mother wants to have the child and he refuses well that's just too bad... he should have wrapped it up and taken precautions to avoid getting her pregnant in the 1st place...accidents happen and people have to grow up and step up... JMO

    Answer by orkibe3 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

  • Oh and I don't know what state you live in but you cant just sign away your rights and be done with it... there is a process...

    I want my daughters dad to sign away his rights but even if he does there will still be child support until my husband legally adopts her... you need to check your state laws. ... or call a family/custody attorney in your area and get all the info you need there

    Answer by orkibe3 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.