do your in-law's visit your children?

do they call to check in or visit often (if live nearby)? or do they expect you to come over to their place.i just am really annoyed, disappointed and frustrated that my in-laws never call and never visit. they make trips out to see other grand kids, but, never to mine. the only times they see my kids is when we have special occasion get togethers, if we take them to their house or ask them to babysit. What's your situation like?
I compare my in-laws to my parents...because my parents seem more loving and caring. They call just to say hi to my toddler and check-in on my infant and they at least visit once or twice a week. My toddler knows my parents well...and does not know her other grandparents.
Am I the only one that gets irritated by this? It's upsetting. I feel like because I'm only ten minutes away, they take advantage of that...and just go drive an hour away or fly across country to see their other grand kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• Nope, my kids visit them. Mine know I'm not fond of visitors in my house - house is very small and not always the cleanest (clutter-wise, not clean-wise). We live extremely close, so we go over there pretty much whenever they or the kids want.
    Anonymous

• nope and she lives not even 10 blocks away and she only calls when she needs something never to ask about the kids my husband has to "drop" by in order for the kids to see her, if he called first she find some excuse of why she cant see them, and even when my dh stops by its only for a few minutes. but she ALWAYS has my sis in laws kids over there or she goes to visit them and sis in law and her hubby are druggies and un employed and their kids are something else..they demand stuff instead of asking for it...my kids ask politely for things and are for the most part well behaved and have manners
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My MIL visits 3 times a week. FIL is deceased, and my mother is out of state, my father is also deceased.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My parents live over an hour away and my mom comes once a week for the day to see the kids and let me have some me time-but I usually clean or run errands. She also takes them 3-4 times a year for a long weekend or whenever we need a babysitter for the night. My MIL lives about 45 mins away and sees my kids on special occasions. She never comes to see our kids or asks them to come over. She does not even stop in when she comes to pick up SS if he is at his mothers-which is about 5 mins from us. We have A LOT of issues with MIL. She favors 2 of the grandkids and ignores the other 3. We basicaly are just trying to separate ourselves from her at this point bc it upsets our kids that she does not want to see them.
    Anonymous

• my mom calls daily and if kids are sick she calls more often and she tries to come down every weekend and she lives an hour away. she also plans trips for the kids like going to the zoo or going out to eat and my parents pay for everything including me and my husbands share even tho there were times we insisted we help pay for something....my mil does give my kids gift cards for birthdays and xmas but she just drops it off in the mail box...where my parents dont hand out money to them or buy them anything for birthdays ect. and rather spend time with them and use money to take them places...which makes sense who is gonna remember a toy from when they are little..but a family trip they will remember a life time
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My MIL lives about 10 minutes from us and sees the kids on special occasions only. I gave up on being upset by her lack of involvement.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My In-laws call ocasionally, but even their kids complain that they don't call enough. I acturally get the most info. out of them. I am close with them, when we do see each other, we live on opposite sides of the country, they are all about the grand kids and just recently wanted to start talking to the grandkids on the computer.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• wow, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one experiencing this, but...it's sad any of us have to deal with it. ashame. i don't know why my in-laws choose to see my niece and nephew who are much further distance than i...but, to each their own, i guess.
    Anonymous

• My parents and my husbands dad calls in to check and see how we're doing..they can't visit because we're a 12 hour plane ride away, which is understandable. Husbands mom is not involved so we are happy with our current situation.
    Anonymous

• None of our parents live close by and my husband's sister also lives far from their parents. We (SIL and I) both just had our first babies this summer. She had hers in June and I had mine in August. My MIL flew out to help out in the first two weeks for both of us. She has gone to visit my neice twice more since the first visit. She told me she would pay to fly us (me and my daughter) out to CA when/if my husband's work schedule gets hectic. I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to come out next month, though. So I don't feel she is playing favorites. We also do video chat with them every so often so she gets to see our daughter. Eventually she plans to read books to her and her cousin via the video chat.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009