What's a good age to start potty training a boy?

My 22 month old has a potty but would rather play with it.......

JessieSkye

Asked by JessieSkye at 4:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im in the same boat as you. i heard that using a baby doll that pees can work to help promote potty training. i guess you are suppose to put the doll on the toilet with your son and have baby pee in toilet then encourage your child to do the same. Read more about this if you want at Dr. Phil, it gives you all the details. Good luck and hope we both get our little boys trained soon.

rollieollie

Answer by rollieollie at 5:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• 2 is a great age. i didn't technically start at exactly 2, i put him on the potty but i didn't make a big deal about him having to go. it was about 2 weeks ago i decided to actually start potty training. ( 2 1/2) . it was VERY frustrating, but after 3 days, we had little to no accidents. (except at night. he's day trained now, not night trained yet) now i can finally say he's officially day potty trained. no, he won't tell me when he has to go (although today he told me twice he had to go for the first time, so i'm hoping this is the beginning) i have to be consience of the time and how long it's been since he's went, and how much he's had to drink that day, and put him on the potty. normally though i just have to ask if he has to go potty and if he does, he runs to the potty. if he doesn't, he just tells me no. he uses the big boy potty, not a little one. he was weird, he pooped in the potty when i first put him on, not pee
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Honestly there is no certain age that's good.
    It all depends on your child.
    My daughter turned 2 today and we have the potty chair, but she just isn't ready to start using it. I don't force it on her, I just let it known that it's there if she wants to try it. My daughter is actually night trained. She doesn't pee all night until she gets up in the mornings, and she refuses to pee when she doesn't have a diaper... but isn't ready for the potty! ah well.. lol
    Just give him time.
    And Good Luck!
    amber_1024

Answer by amber_1024 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• when he starts showing interest. Every child is different. i would recommend going to the potty training group here on cm and ask.. there are so many people there that can give you advice and support
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 7:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• sigh* waiting for the signs is a little too late. just go to pottytrainer.com
    Anonymous

• My son is 23 months, I still don't think he even knows what Peeing Is.... he hates to be naked.. I know, odd right? so he has only ever peed in his diaper - he knows what pooping is because that feeling is stronger and we can show him it, he's had a potty since 18 months and will sit on it, not naked of course or he just screams for me to put his pants back on - I have NO idea...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• We've done "intro to potty" every few months since he was 16 m/o. (the nurse asked me if I was potty training at 13 months, I was like, NO....) Anyway, we bought a potty chair, a toilet insert, and some potty videos and books. We "talked" about it, eventually he'd sit on the potty with clothes on while watching the Once Upon a Potty Video (MY favorite!) & this went on til about 28 months. Then we tried the 3-day potting training method & ditched it after 10 days, LOL! But after we quit, he had at least learned 1) we like him to use the potty and 2) to say, I pee! which is great since he's not that verbal yet. Anyway, I decided to back off & wait until he's more ready, & he's more ready all the time. Just don't want to force it or make it a negative experience. We stopped because he wasn't sleeping & it got us all off routine. Back to the diapers, back to the routine, PTL! Anyway, try until he resists, then try again later. GL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• my doc said to get a potty chair now and he is 18 months old, I thought that was kinda young, she said introduce it, b/c a big potty can be intimidating to him. we haven't bought it yet and he's almost 19 months
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My sister would always tell me that "boys will let you know when they're ready to be potty trained", and I completely agree with this. It's a hard job potty training little boys, my son will be three next month and he wears underwear during the day and he always says "me need to go pee-pee". I don't wanna get too stressed out about it. If he has an accident then it'll be okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I have 3 kiddos. My oldest boy is 7 he was fully potty trained at 3 1/2 and literally it was over night. They will let you know when they are ready. I literally took the diapers off and put the underwear on and he started to go on the potty. I tried pull up for about a yr but he just saw them as diapers. But one day he wanted to use the potty and has been using it ever since. Now my daughter on the other hand was potty trained at 2. And again the same thing she let me know when she was ready. I wouldn't force it on him. He is still a baby & he will let you know when he is ready. My baby which will be 2 next month like to take his diaper off and just sit on his potty but wont do anything. But I hope soon he will figure it out.
    Savannah12345

Answer by Savannah12345 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2009