If God wanted us to be Christians why is the bible so unclear on so many things?

And before everyone jumps on the "The bible isn't unclear" bandwaggon - If the bible wasn't unclear there would simply be one form of Christianity. But because the bible is unclear if allows room for multiple interpretations - thus leading to multipule denominations...

Why didn't God just make the bible as black and white as the paper it's printed on?? Or was he simply trying to confuse people to test their faith?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally view the bible just as I do the Odyssey or the Iliad. They are great mythic tales full of history and parable. But are not generally black and white because they weren't meant to be followed to the letter. The myths of ancient cultures, including the old testament, were teaching stories. They were used to teach through example and to make people understand this point or another without having to deal with the strife themselves... The bible is just like these. It's not meant to be seen as a black and white, right or wrong rule. It's meant to illustrate life and how it is to be lived. But it gives the reader leeway as to how far they feel they need to go to follow those examples. It's not meant to be black and white because it wasn't meant to be followed in the way it is today.

I honestly believe had the writers known what would happen, they would have written differently or not at all!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I vote for confusing people to test their faith LOL.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• u know, I used to beleive everything that my church preached/interperted the bible. Then I read the Davinci Code, I know this sounds stupid but that book made me think and research the bibe. It has been changed so many time through interperatations and there WERE kings back in the day who deleted some books from the bible...So I think it is perfectly understandable that the Bible is soo unclear, I think that you have to interperate it yourself for what it means TO YOU. I mean, we are all trying to get to the same place right?
    Anonymous

• No gods were involved or the text would be totally clear and there would be NO doubt as to what god wants. A perfect, omnipotent god would have created a perfect and noncontradictory book. Ergo, the religion and the book are utterly mythological and ridiculous.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• For me it IS a matter of faith. If everything was in black and white and absolutely unquestionable there would be no need for faith. Where's the gift of free will in that? If everything was plain unarguable fact, would there really be any choice to be made?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Oh, and to further confuse things........A lot of denominations, sects, or whatever you want to call it practice things that aren't biblically based, meaning there is no biblical call or instruction for the belief/ritual/etc. Personally, I'm non-denominational.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• WindyTheWidow,
    You could STILL have everything as plain as day in the Bible and still have a choice on whether to believe or not, so I don't think your comment holds water. There really is no reason for it to be so confusing and yet it is, so why is that?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I agree with Windy.
    Anonymous

• I get what you are saying, IhartU. Of course there would still be a choice, but much less so. For a lot of us the bible really isn't that confusing at all. The OP asked a question that was meant to solicit the opinions of others. I gave mine, it is what it is, agree or disagree. It was a satisfactory answer to someone that shares my faith. Just like all of the other answers are satisfactory to those that don't. All of the responses "hold water" to the person that posted them, true?

You are about the last person I want to go headtohead with, lol. You are one of my fav's outside of R&B and I would like to keep it that way. :)
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Jesus DID say the words written were for those who have ears to hear and eyes to see.
    The bible is clear but not everyone has understanding.
    Matthew 13:14-20 (New International Version)

14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
    " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
    15For this people's heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
    Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
    and turn, and I would heal them.'[a] 16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009