At what age do you let your baby cry it out?

If you just fed, changed, and burped your baby and you know that there isnt anything wrong.... do you let cry until they fall asleep and if so what age do you do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i let mine cry it out from the day he got home and after about 3 days of it he gave up and didnt cry after that
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 5:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• CIO is a pretty effective method. We tried it with our son at 3 months old and it worked like a charm. A couple of nights were hard on us, but it bothers the parents more than the baby. Babies need to learn how to do this to build their independence. I would definitely suggest it. It's pretty controversial---you might get a lot of conflicting opinions about this.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• everyone's different. my oldest didn't start CIO till about 4-5 months, not too long though. my dd, however, when i put her down for bed i'd let her FUSS for a couple minutes, if she cried for 1 minute i'd get her, at 4wks. normally she'd need that little 1 minute cry just to go to sleep. at about 6 months is when i started letting them cry 10-15 minutes, 7 months went up to 15-20 minutes.

you also have to be consience of their cries. like if they are crying they're "hurt "cry, go in there and check on them. you know their cry, so you know when they're crying just to cry or if there is a reason. GL
    Anonymous

• i let my son do it also and now he just screams out dadadadadada
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Just to let you know the American Academy of Pediatrics is against the CIO method and would probably ban Baby Wise if they could.

here is a link

I believe that CIO is only appropriate for babies OLDER then 12 months

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I only have let my children CIO after they are old enough that I know they're waking up out of habit rather than need. That doens't happen until at least 10-11 months and only once I know they dont have an ear infection or are teething (or have been medicated if they are). Letting a small baby CIO is mean.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 5:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Never. If a baby is crying, it's because they need something (yes, being held or rocked is a need for an infant). Toddlers throwing fits are a completely different issue.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I don't, and I firmly believe that cio from the day they are home from the hospital is ABUSE. You seriously let your 3 day old baby cry to sleep? There are adoption agencies out there if having a child was too inconvenient for you, fcknready2party. Though, by your name, I see where your priorities lie.

I am against just letting your baby scream until they pass out. It isn't good for them, and it doesn't lead to restful sleep. If someone is in a desperate situation (and I have known several who were), Ferber is an alternative. He is for checking on your kid, AND says if their sleep patterns don't change within a week, something's wrong. Your child should never just be left alone to cry until they pass out.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I've talked to that Ferber guy on the phone before and he is a total jerk...FYI. Anyway, CIO is effective for some babies but not all. It is not a one-size fits all option so be cautious. Some babies will fuss or whine for a few minutes and then fall asleep but others (like my son) will cry for hours and still not fall asleep. If your child cries until they are frantic, don't do it. Dr. Ferber recommends using CIO for babies 6 months and up, but even he admits that it is not for all babies.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Experts say no sooner than six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009