DD 8 months old...

Feeding her stage 2 foods. Bananas, peaches, sweet potatos. etc. She sits on her own. crawls with her stomach off the floor. should she be eating stage 2 foods?

another question...

I just switched her over to stage 2 foods but they come in all these different kinds of combinations. apricots w/ apples and pears. banana w/ yogurt and apples. i know she had a allergic reaction to the apricots but should i continue to let her eat the new combinations or should i just stick to the bananas, peaches, peas, green beans and simple things she knows? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stage 2 foods are fine as long as she isn't choking on them. My daughter gave up purees altogether at 9 mo. and went exclusively to finger foods. As for combos...combos are more interesting and offer baby a great flavor variety so yes, I'd do combos. However, you should only do combos where she has had all the ingredients (or all but one and introduce that new food separately) ...avoid combos that contain something you know she is allergic too. (Although you will want to re-try allergic foods later on ...assuming the reaction wasn't severe...because often babies outgrow food intolerance's).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I am in the same situation you are. My daughter is 8 months old as well. I actually started her on stage 3. It says it's for crawlers, so it should be fine for your daughter. Stage 3 just has more substance to it, so I feel like it fills her up more. Although, most people on Cafemom will tell you that by 8 months they should be eating grown up food, but just cut up in small pieces. Honestly, I prefer giving her the jar stuff because that way I know she's getting enough fruits and veggies, without added sodium or anything. However, I have started giving her grilled cheese, and grown-up pasta, and she loves it.
    As far as the allergy question, I'd stay away from anything that has apricots in it. My pediatrician said anything they have an allergy to you can re-try it after they're 1, but not before that
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• She can eat real food. You don't need to feed her expensive baby food.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• OP here.I would feed her real food but she doesnt have teeth yet. lol i only feed her table foods that she can gum like pasta and bread and mashed potatos.
    Anonymous

• you can feed them real food before they have teeth - the molars that we use to chew with they don't get until much later. My eight month old had no teeth and went to table food, whatever we were eating (unless we were having a pizza night and I would microwave her a sweet potato and have some fruit; or if we were having tacos I would just give him a cheese rollup and fruit; etc).

Answer by missanc at 7:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The main difference between stage 1 and 2 foods is the amount in the jar and that stage 2 comes in combos. If she's eating all of a stage 1 jar and wants more, then stage 2 is fine (or before then, but you might waste more if she's not eating all of it). And if she's allergic to apricots, you want to avoid all apricots, including the combos, but combos with other foods, like apples and plums, are fine as long as she's had at least one of the foods in it already (for instance, if she's had apples and done fine, then you can give her apples and plums and just watch for a reaction to the plums since you'd already know the apples aren't a problem), and still stick with the rule of one new food every few days.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009