What is your best weightloss food plan if your on a budget!

I wanted to get some tips on what your food plan looks like when your on a budget and need to loose weight. Sometimes it can seem like eating healthy is expensive so what do you plan and how much do you spend a week?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• my favorite snack is tuna with lemon and some chips... or microwavable food like fettucini alfredo with chicken and broccoli idk lol i always ate what i wanted just not as much as i use to and worked out alot Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think its all about portion control. I pretty much eat anything I want but I cut everything in half so I dont over indulge. I do fruit and veggies and refuse to have junk food in the house to keep away from temptations. If I have a craving for a hamburger I'll but one but only the Junior size. If I dont give into my craving I end up binge eating which is never a good sign. I have lost 50 lbs so far and still have a ways to go but I refuse to give up. WIth only one income in my household I couldn't buy the expensive healthy foods so i had to come up with my own way and it works. Good luck.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Don't eat and it's really cheap:) We haven't had any money and I've lost a lot of weight. From size 22 jeans to size 16 since the end of Aug. I take care of my toddler grandson several days a week for exercise.

My son works at an organic grocery store. We can shop every day and get just what's on sale. We have no waste. If you can find a small easy place to shop with good sales it can be a great help. He works in the meat dept and brings home meat they are discounting. I eat high fiber cereal or oatmeal.

Today I've had oatmeal, oj, and a can of mixed tropical fruit (on sale for 50 cents). For dinner we are having chicken (whole chicken for less than $3), acorn squash, and rolls. Dinner for both of us will be less than $5 and there will be leftovers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I was just thinking the same thing as i cooked dinner. Healthy food IS expensive. I have been drinking a bottle of water before each meal. It's been helping me not to eat so much. I have been eating a bowl of raisin bran for breakfast or a english muffin with my coffee (i cant give it up) For lunch i eat half of whatever i make for the kids. Today was noodles i ate a few bites after downing a water. For dinner I ate a few frenchfries and a water. I'm hoping this will help me lose weight becuase i'm not eating as much as before. I wish you luck and if you need somone to work off the weight with let me know.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 6:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Soup is fairly healthy, low in calories if you get the healthy request and pretty cheap. Add a few generic crackers if you need to, but would be better for you without.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Cut out ALL soda, including diet soda and fast food. Watch your servings, drink a lot of water. No food is bad for you, as long as you eat in moderation. Make sure you eat a variety of foods, eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. I lost almost 30 pounds doing this.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Be careful that you still eat at least 1200 calories per day. If you don't your body will go into survival mode and start to store fat. Cheap healthy meals we rely on is homemade chicken noodle soup, vegetarian chili, bean soup, homemade corn bread, tuna on crackers, shepherds pie, eggs and toast, oatmeal or cream of wheat, and eat lots of apples too. Also, if you have meat with every dinner, make the meat an accessory not the main entree. For example, instead of one 4 ounce chicken breast per person, cut a 4 ounce chicken breast in half and give each person 2 ounces. Serve that with a baked squash and bag of frozen vegetables you've got a cheap, healthy, easy meal. PM me if you want recipes (I have the best chicken soup recipe and my chili gets rave reviews). Also, homemade burritos. Buy soft corn tortillas, 1 lb ground turkey (Louis rich frozen is cheap), shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato. Cook turkey, layer and wrap.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i switched to diet soda and only allow myself 1 a day...before i weighed 189 1bs now i weigh 165 and i'm kinda hanging around that. I would like to get down to 145 but i think i'm gonna have to do more like work out or probably cut out the sweets...i love my icecream tho =(
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the info! Any one else has anything to add please do. I have a budget and I refuse to say I cant do it because.....So any other advice, ideas in recpies would be great. I have 80 more lbs to loose!
    Anonymous

• Here is a link to a post with 10 healthy foods under 1.00

http://www.cafemom.com/group/21648/forums/read/10053219/10_Healthy_Foods_for_Under_1

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009