Do you let you children walk to school?

I hope you read this http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-21-missing-girl_N.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno if you do and remember that this woman didn't think it could happen to her either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-21-missing-girl_N.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno
    Anonymous

• Poster one EXACTLY! it really depends on the age of the child but I would never let my kids walk to school unless it was less than a half mile away and they were like 13 years old! With GPS watches and their own cell phones ....
    protectivemompa

Answer by protectivemompa at 6:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I allow my 11 year old to walk to the bus stop. It depends were you live. I live on base now. When i didnt live on base i always drove my kids. It was around the corner and I still always drove them. I wouldnt even let them take the bus when I lived off base. To many kids and one bus driver.. nope not enough supervision for me.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 6:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Hell to the NO! I even pick up my 13 year old sister from school everyday... People are gross now days you dont know whats gonna happen. Just a year ago about 5 kids each from different schools called the police on some man in a specific truck trying to get them into it. Then they had the entire police force in town covering all the elementary schools because of these 5 almost abductions.... The man was never seen again but it doesnt mean he didnt change his car and go back...
    Anonymous

• Even though we live in a nice neighborhood it doesn't mean squat. I would not let my son walk to school. No way. I will drive him or he can take the bus, til he drives.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The sad thing it doesn't depend on where you live. Stuff like this can and does happen EVERYWHERE. No neighborhood is safe. No demographic is safe.
    Anonymous

• I do let my kids (8,9,11) walk to school. It is about 5 blocks from home. However, I live in a small town with crossing guards at every major intersection and there's buses and other moms going to and from school. The police are out patroling before and after school. I also know several families along their route.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Occasionally. They've walked to school a few times on their own and usually walk at least half way on their own. They are in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Only when we lived right behind the school and I could see them walk the short distance through the playground into the door. Otherwise,we always lived so far away they took the bus. They were kids in the 1970's and 1980's and I was really cautious and watching out for them even though we had not heard of kidnappings as much as we do now.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• No, my children aren't allowed to walk around anywhere without their parents.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009