Thoughts?? be nice!

http://blogs.jta.org/politics/article/2009/10/22/1008671/senate-approves-hate-crimes-bill

Asked by older at 6:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Ladies, I think it is time to close this question, it is way past my bedtime, so I will leave you with this::: The bill does not mean that one life is greater than the other, have someone with legal knowledge dissect it for you, you not agreeing with it does not make me mad or pissy, you don't have to agree, it is done it is passed, it is law, or it will be as soon as the President's signs it.
    Sweet dreams to all, even the trolls!

Answer by older at 10:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Every crime is a hate crime. No criminal should get a lighter sentence just because they killed someone the same color or religion or sexual orientation as themselves. The penalty for "hate crimes" should be the penalty for all crimes, not tiered to make some people's lives worth less than others.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

clapping

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• NotPanicking, read the bill, it doesn't mean that one life is worth more than another, it just mean that this is a way to prosecute, and acknowledge the fact of the reason for this particular hate crime.

Answer by older at 6:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Anonymous

• Murder is a crime and there are laws, does not stop that behavior?. IN fact it will make it worse, like Someone or go to jail now?

Anonymous

• what particular hate crime? I didn't see it in the article.

I do have to say that if I'm going to do a crime to someone that it's because I hate them and want to hurt them.
    Anonymous

bow downyou rock

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• And yes older...it does. By making the penalty for one persons life harsher they are saying that person had more value.
    momof030404

• it doesn't mean that one life is worth more than another,

The existence of the concept of a "hate crime" values one life over another. They should not be expanding the list of which lives are worth more, they should be doing away with them altogether and changing the maximum penalties for ALL murders, rapes, and acts of vandalism to match those assigned to hate crimes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009