How could you choose a quality daycare without interrogating the workers? In books, it says to make sure the daycare workers are well paid because they will do a better job if they're happy; it's a bit invasive to ask someone how much they are paid, isn't it?

I am in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area and would like to know about all positive and negative experiences with daycares in my area.

Asked by Naiymahal at 1:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hope you get some good info about daycares local to you. This reply’s on a side-topic. When I had a preschool& afternoon daycare, I didn't have children younger than 4 1/2. Even at that age, it was better for the child to be just coming 2 or 3 mornings a week for some stories, singing, art and play. When a mom would call about a younger child, or about her 4-5 year old being in daycare for long hours, I would always explore why she was considering it. Some mothers are financially compelled to work full-time (but the costs of daycare, convenience foods,gas,clothes, and especially frequently-sick child&family sometimes add up to being better off staying home for a more peaceful and less expensive life). Some women actually thought they OUGHT to put their 2-3 year old in daycare. I would assure them that their child is naturally most benefitted by being with mother and father & loving family than by being inserted into a group of children larger than 3 to 6. Good luck!

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Just a thought: Here's a list of schools in that area which might be able to direct you to beneficial daycares. I am unfamiliar with the LA area, so I'm just including everything which looks possible.Northridge,CA (818)349-1394highlandhall. org, Alta Dena(626)794-9564, Cardiff (760)635-3747, Costa Mesa (949)574-7775,Pacific Palisades(310)454-7064, Lake Balboa (818)776-0011

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• First check to see the daycare is LISCENSED AND INSURED. Then check to see if the DCF has been out there and has filed complaints and check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there's any complaints, and SORRY to burst your bubble, but plenty of high paid daycare workers still abuse and neglect your kids.  Checking with the local government agencies to KNOW for sure they are legal and have had no problems beats getting LIED to your face by the daycare workers.

Answer by vbruno at 4:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I'm an at home daycare provider and your right that when you get paid more your more happy. When I was watching one child it really made my job hard, but now that I have a full house of kids it's make me happier and wanting to do the job better. I don't know about daycare centers I would look for a licensed homedaycare for your little one. Maybe a Mom or Grandma that's doing daycare. Good Luck

Answer by Deb79 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2008