Homework time - The Evil That Men Due (cue Bruce)

I'm still waiting to hear back if I gave the prof a headache again this week or not. So this week was the arguments in favor of atheism based on the existence of evil. Going to skip most of it and get right to this (which isn't directly related to either argument):
If the theistic God is omniscient, omnipotent and wholly good (this is the textbook definition, not subject to debate), and if God is incapable of creating a universe without evil (because to do so would not allow the greater good/life experiences/every other theodicy and argument that refutes atheism's use of evil as reason), why make the universe in the first place? Wouldn't the wholly good act be to never create conscious beings that would need to experience evil to thrive?

(same rules as always - no bible verses, no other gods or ignorant trolls allowed, etc etc) I may expand on this one later, it's longer than the question space allows.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why not just be God in his nothingness?

Is one still a God without things to worship his/her godliness?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ah, this looks to be a twist on the Epicurean riddle!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

Our book conveniently leaves that whole mess out due to convenience. (This is where OTM starts banging her head on the keyboard again, I know)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• do your own homework!

You said no trolls, but last week when I asked Christians I was told anyone can respond.

so here's your troll

My homework is already done, moron.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• No I can't say it would be wholly good for God to create beings that have no choices and no opportunities to grow and to be changed, no opportunities to rise above their circumstances in life. His glory shines through the brightest in the darkest of circumstances. I'm not sure I read the question correctly but I'm replying the way I understood it.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If the theistic God is omniscient, omnipotent and wholly good and if God is incapable of creating a universe without evil why make the universe in the first place? Wouldn't the wholly good act be to never create conscious beings that would need to experience evil to thrive?

Perhaps this "God" is both evil and good, all in one. He is the alpha and the omega, right? Does this not imply that "God" encompasses all things, including the evil things? And if he is incapable of creating something without evil, this implies limitations to his doings. Which negates his "all powerful" claims....Just my thoughts:)

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Does this not imply that "God" encompasses all things, including the evil things? And if he is incapable of creating something without evil, this implies limitations to his doings.

The first part, about the all encompassing, would contradict the "wholly good." The idea of being incapable of creating evil goes back to what is possible in reality. You cannot have a round square because it is not possible for a square to be round. Therefore god cannot create a round square because no such thing can exist. That's the loophole that allows for stuff this theistic God can't do while still being all powerful and all knowing. (And believe me, that loophole comes up every single week)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• * that should say incapable of creating without evil
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

Well, that wouldn't be good, either, but what I wonder is why create any beings at all? Why not just be God in his nothingness?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• since those who believe in God as the Creator of all things believe him to be all those things you listed, try this on for size: if you (or any woman) were incapable of 'creating' a human/baby without any chance of being evil/bad/not as positive as you'd like them to be, why create one at all? as the creator of another human, you'd like to think things will turn out fine, and your little human will always strive perfectly, and good. but that doesn't always happen..you have no control over what you create does ON THEIR OWN (aka..free will).
    Anonymous