How Do You Get A 8 Year Old to Start Behaving Again?

My son is eight and a half. He is the middle child between 2 girls. In June we moved to a new city. Everything was cool. We met neighbors, made friends and all that good stuff. He started school and he was great. The first month of school was fine and now in the last month he has started being the "class clown", plus he is disrespecting his teacher, he is laughing during lessons. We have gotten pretty close weith the next door neighbor and I am not watching her 10 year old son. after school and if she has to work late. She is a single mom and doesnt really have anyone else. I care about this kid but he is spoiled. He gets what ever he wants. His mom never disciplines him. He is the baby and the only boy. His father is around and spoils him relentlessly. So now my son is acting out (he did not do this before) and has told me twice he wants to live with the neighbors b/c they do not get grounded. My son gets discipline.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• (cont). He gets grounded, stuff taken away, occasionally spanked (its been a while for that though). I just do not know what else to do. I have talked to him until I am blue in the face. I just do not want this to continue to get worse. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• Its just a stage momma. u need to sit down and have a little talk with this mister!... tell him nicely, be the "cool mom" he wants you to be. but the reason u displine him is for his better future. he wont understand this til hes 20! so get used to it! but just because they dont get displined lol they are wild children. the other kids seems little koo-koo. so i would most def. try to sit him down and explain why hees displined bc u dont want ur child acting out in class, and start getting bad grades and such. u want the best for his future :)
    Anonymous

• yup, what anon 7;21 said. I agree with her 100%. this is so true.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2009