Would you let your BFF babysit/live at your house?

My best friend offered to watch my kids for super cheap while Im at work, but she drives me crazy if shes around too much. She despises my boyfriend, so I cant even invite him over. She keeps telling my neighbor that Im in love with him so that I will date him instead of my current boyfriend! She doesnt drive and I have to be at work by 6:30 in the morning, so I have to let her spend the night. (She lives 20 miles away) Its been 2 days and I feel like I have no privacy. Shes not the best babysitter since she told me yesterday that my daughter ate 8 string cheeses and 2 otter pops in 1 sitting. Im having a hard time being her boss and being her friend. When I tell her Im not ok with something (Like when she used laundry detergent in my dishwasher) she just laughs and thinks Im overreacting. Im extremely broke and cant afford a real sitter. What do you think I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get assistance and put your kids in daycare. She obviously is not doing a good job and she is more trouble than she is worth,
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• sit down with her and give her "real talk" it sounds like u need some help and so does she. its your place and she needs to respect whoever u bring over. u can bring ur OWN boyfriend over if she doesnt respect that she can leave while hes gone. and i would tell her all your wishes for your house rules. and tell her your serious. she needs to respect your house. and tell her its not ok to let ur kids eat junk food all day. tell her straight up. im sure u love her to pieces if she is really ur best friend. just realx momma. sounds like the two of u are falling apart. yall need to have a girls night out. even at you r house turn the tv on watch a movie. while kids are sleeping. realx :)
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 7:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Wow, she put laundry detergent in your dishwasher???? I have NEVER heard of someone doing that. What an idiot!

You're a single mom. You can get child care assistance. Don't put up with that. She's going to have to live with you basically in order to keep this up.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• And this is your BEST friend?
    Anonymous

• Lay down the rules. Maybe you could also prepare meals for your kids the night before and put it in the fridge. Also have healthy snacks accessible. Let her know there's a limit on snacks... because lets face it, food isn't cheap. Pack lunch baggies, whatever for each kids. Make her do things your way. However, laundry detergent in the dishwasher, as idiotic as this sound, isn't the worst thing one can do. Is it possible she is really that clueless? Does she know where you keep everything? Set up boundaries. Two days a week isn't excessive, but I would nip the bad-talking about your boyfriend in the bud. She is your bff, I'd give her another chance before looking into daycare assistance.

I feel you. I love my bff, but I don't think I'd be able to put up with her being around a lot. I like my privacy. :)
    Anonymous

• get someone else, she doesn't seem to be the right person for the job.
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would agree. You are a case of someone who would be better off on public assistance. Apply you can get very inexpensive or free daycare depending on your income. Sounds like she is mooching off of you and twisting it into sounding like shes doing you a favor. In the end she'll end up costing you more than shes saving you. One doctors visit because something happened to your child in her care and you're lost a fortune. Or she ruins your dishwasher and viola you're out $750 that I'm sure she won't be willing to pay for. Dump her and find a good friend!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thats the problem with public assistance.I had it,but they cut me off because they lowered the requirements.Thats the reason why shes watching them.I cant afford daycare anymore.They kicked my kids out on Mon cause I couldnt afford to pay 252 a week in daycare.I think I will take all of your advice & find a new sitter.Shes driving me crazy.My daughter has a huge rash on her leg,& she cant tell me how it got there.Not to mention shes so into flirting with guys on the computer that shes not even taking care of the kids.At this point,I think its time to cut the friendship. Im not paying someone whos gonna sit on her ass & only make full course meals for herself & not the kids using MY food.I went to the food bank on tues,& shes eaten half the food!I mean,took 1 bite,didnt like it,& just left it on the counter to rott.I knew shes inconciderate,but this is ridiculous.I can barely support myself,I cant support her fat ass too. thx
    Sierra_Mistress

Answer by Sierra_Mistress at 11:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• for all your advice. Its helped a lot!!!
    Sierra_Mistress