I have an abcess on my jaw

My daughter kicked me really hard in the jaw Monday. And now the right side of my face has swollen 2-3 times its size in the jaw area. I was told it was probly an abcess. If I go to the hospital would they be able to help me? Or would I have to go to a dentist? Cause it isn't in my gums. Its a huge egg shape in my jaw bone. And it hurts REALLY REALLY bad! Im crying it hurts so bad. It burns.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Health

• When I had an abscess in my mouth it was caused by an infected tooth. I had nasty puss pockets in my gums.
    I am not sure that what you have is an abscess. I would go to the ER if you do not have insurance. If you have insurance could you wait it out until morning and see your regular doctor?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I do have insurance. But I haven't gotten a pcp as of yet. The pain is so intense. And its steadily getting worse. Even if it is something to do with a tooth or whatever. wouldn't they be able to help with the swelling and pain if anything? I am about to rip my hair out here!
    Anonymous

• Go to the ER then. You can not be the best mom you are capable of being if you are in that much pain. They can at least give you something for the pain.
    When I had my abscess I went to the ER and was given a pain med and an injection of an antibiotic and a prescription of an antibiotic. They thought it would help, but they didn't realize it was an infected tooth, so I didn't get better. I kept getting sicker and finally went back three days later and was told to go to an oral surgeon. I had the abscess cleaned and a root canal the day after that. Once the cause was cleared up the infection went away quickly.
    I would ask for an xray of the jaw to see if there is a break/fracture.
    Good Luck! Would you keep me updated with what they say? I will check back to this post if you don;t want to pm. :D Feel better soon.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009