Cereal??????? She hates it, suggestions??????

My daughter is 5 months and my pediatrician said I could start cereal at 4 months. We tried it and she hated it and didn't sleep any longer so I wonder is it worth her hating it, so I haven't given it to her again. I breastfeed and I did mix the rice cereal with breastmilk. I also tried it super runny and a little thicker. I have a friend that said her daughter needed applesauce added to it then she loved it. I asked the pediatrician if I should add anything (at my visit, not since Ava hated it) and she said we'd talk more at her 6 month appt. Could a little applesauce hurt? Alleries are the worry right? Ava does get up every 3 hrs to eat still so a little extra sleep would be nice but not at my daughters expense (allergy wise)......any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mix it with fruit. Try other types like barley or wheat. Even try a diff brand.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Mix a little cereal in her bottle. It will fill her up allowing her to sleep and disguise the taste
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• At 4 months I wouldn't be adding applesause just yet. If she hates the cereal, she hates it. Not much you can do. Wait a month or two and add a little applesauce or peaches to it and I bet she'll love it. Mine did. You could always call your doc and ask about adding the cereal to her bottle. That was how mine started out getting used to it and it worked. HTH. Good luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I put a teenie tiny bit of vanilla extract in it. It made both my kids love it. I also bought the flavored kind with bananas and stuff. You can mix anything in it. Applesauce is good too, especially with cinnamon. Be creative, youll figure it out ;P
    Sierra_Mistress

Answer by Sierra_Mistress at 7:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• No cereal in bottles. Not that you vgive them anyway.

She doesn't NEED cereal. Indeed, as a breastfed baby she needs nothing else right now and it's best to wait till six months.

But with the Rubicon crossed...try mashed banana. WITHOUT cereal. Cereal is pretty icky stuff and offers nothing of real value. The iron in breastmilk is more easily absorbed than that in cereal. Breastmilk has 100% of the RDA of everything but Vit D, which baby gets from sunshine.

Nurse first, solids after to insure she's getting what she needs nutritionally. The solids are only for the experience of eating solids, nothing more.

Sleep? Heh heh heh heh...go back and re-read that section of the Mommy Contract. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• When my oldest was 4 months she couldn't digest the stuff. But the doc said she could have it with some yellow or orange veggies. You could try mixing in that, I don't think there is much allergy risk with squash or carrots.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Feeding her solids won't help her sleep. But if she doesn't like cereal, try a different grain. All 4 of my kids like the oatmeal better than the rice. And I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing in a little bit of pureed fruit with it.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would just skip the cereal. For a breastfed baby its not really necessary. I would hold off on the fruits and veggies until after 6 mos, and keep nursing before all meals.

Everything gdiamante said, pretty much :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Cereal is not necessary, ever, but especially at 4 months. Breastmilk is all she needs. What we did, and what makes the most sense to me, is to let baby have anything appropriate that they show interest in (bananas, avocado, well-steamed soft veggies). This usually means they don't eat solids til later, but they don't need any nutrionally until at least a year old. There's a whole movement (mostly in the UK) called baby-led weaning (they mean weaning onto solids, not off of milk). Whatever soft bits baby can pick up and try on their own, that's great. We did a little with the spoon, but mostly yogurt. Cereal is junk food, imo - whole foods are best.

As far as I've read, solids do not make babies sleep any better or longer. That happens when they're ready!
    Tauna1208

Answer by Tauna1208 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son didn't like cereal at all. He ate a little when we added peaches, but after a day or two he didn't even like that any more. So we ditched the cereal and went with straight peaches and he ate it up. After that, we never did cereal any more. He's been fine without it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009