So i have tried to put my son on this specific schedule and it really seems like he isn't getting enough food in his day. So i was wondering should i start him on a new schedule and try it out or should i just keep feeding him the same schedule? Please moms out there I really need help

This is his old schedule.
6:30-wake up
7:00-6 oz. bottle and bowl of cereal
9:00- 6 oz bottle
11:00 6 oz bottle with fruit
1:00- 6 oz bottle
3:00 he gets a 6 oz bottle with vegetable
5:00-6 oz bottle
7:00-6 oz bottle
8:30-bedtime.

and he still wakes up through the night too.

now the new schedule that i would like to try and get him on is:

6:30-wake up
6:35- 6 oz. bottle and bowl of cereal
9:00- 6 oz bottle
12:00- 6 oz bottle and fruit
3:00-6 oz bottle
6:00-6 oz bottle and vegetables
8:30-6 oz bottle with cereal or oats
9:00-bedtime

EthansMommy16

Asked by EthansMommy16 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your baby? I cringe at the word "schedule" when used to on any baby. Offer him food when he acts hungry and let him eat until he's finished.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• How are you gauging that he's not getting enough? Know that nothing you do will induce sleep. He has to grow into sleeping longer stretches. That's a developmental milestone and anything you do justy gives you the satisfaction that you've tried to do something.

I do see that you're eliminating six ounces from his daily intake...but 42 ounces a day was a lot.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I always tried to feed my babies at 3,6,9&12 .... it was an easy way for me to get them on a 3 hour schedule. But, let him eat as much as he wants. When you feed him solids, give them first follwed by the bottle. He will stop when he is full, and how much formula he eats will depend on how much "real" food he eats.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Failure to thrive is linked to scheduling feedings please be careful and do your best to follow baby's cues and throw away that schedule.

Anonymous

• The amount you're feeding him isn't any different on the "new schedule" than it was on the "old schedule", so if he seemed to be getting enough before and doesn't now, then he's probably going through a growth spurt. Also, unless you have a really really good reason, a "schedule" isn't a necessary thing - as long as I kept naptime the same every day, my kids were extremely happy. Now as they're older, I keep mealtimes, naptimes for those who need it, and bedtime the same, and we're all good. I say throw the schedule out and feed baby when baby wants it.
    Anonymous

• I'm assuming your baby is at least 4 months old since you are feeding him solids? 36 oz sounds like a lot. I never formula fed so I can't be certain, but I thought you were supposed to feed a baby 24-30 oz/day?
    I always fed my baby their solids at a "normal" meal time and still used bfeeding as "snacks" so they would get used to breakfast/lunch/dinner schedule as they grew into a toddler.
    When you stretch out his feedings to more than 2 hours in between that should help with the nighttime wakings as well. Most babies can go more than 2 at least by 4 months.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• He seems to be eating very well, you don't want to over do it, just b/c he wakes up in the middle of the night doesn't mean it's cause he starving, my daughter has never really slept through the night consistently and she is 1 now and teething so she wakes up in the middle of the night some b/c of that. Either schedule seems great.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• this is really something you should check with the doctor about. that seems like what i did with my DS. i also agree to give the solids first then the bottle. don't jump to the bottle at night either. this is where it would help to know your baby's age.

personally, i think you're doing fine with the feedings.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Really? You think 36 ounces isn't enough? Is it because your baby still seems genuinely hungry, or it just doesn't seem like enough to you? Because believe me, it's plenty; it's actually a lot more than most babies get. And if you're talking about solids, then don't worry about that. Formula/breastmilk is all he needs in the first year, the rest is just extra.

And have you tried letting him set the schedule? That way he'd be getting exactly what he wants/needs, and you wouldn't have to stress about it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• How old is your baby? It seems like a lot of food and you may be overfeeding (that can cause issues itself). I don't have any experience with schedules because i let my babies set their own schedules, i would do the same thing if i was formula feeding.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2009