Why do people complain about "If there is a God why is there so much evil in the world?" and then say they don't believe in "sin"???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, frustrating isn't it.
    Anonymous

• because as humans we want to have our cake and eat it,too. we want what we want.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think you are taking it out of context. Generally, if that question is posed to believers, the asker wants the believer's take on how that is justified within his/her perception of belief and the construct of god in which he/she believes. Adding the part about not believing in "sin" is a way of saying/implying non-belief in any construct of deity. There is a great deal of difference in knowing whether something is wrong or right on a universal level, and labeling it a "sin" so that it may be only "wrong" to a mythological construct. It is a ridiculous question, though, because all the christians ever do is trot out the old lame horse of "free will" as the carte blanche excuse.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• those would be people that are still struggling spiritually.. basically at a fork in the road..
    they are mad about something that went wrong in their lives and trying to place the blame elsewhere. A way of dealing with guilt without having the load fully on their shoulders. It's a natural reaction.. if it wasn't God it would be something else. However if the individual doesn't deal with the issue, this can become a larger and more unhealthy issue and problem. The individual needs to learn to deal with their grieve/guilt in a more healthy manner.. by learning to deal with the load. Sometimes reverting back to religion helps them find peace... sometimes it takes them the opposite way, and they find religion lacking, and seek peace elsewhere.. namely within themselves.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• However I'm not one to place the blame of anything on anyone else's shoulders but my own. I know my faults, and my mistakes are my own. I don't believe in sin, but I do know what is right and what is wrong. I don't believe in God... so I have reason to blame him for anything.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• its not a ridiculous question, roach. its hers, and you CHOSE to answer. i believe that is what you call 'trotting out the old lame horse of free will'...funny, i thought only xtians did that. lol
    Anonymous

• I did not say the OP's question was ridiculous, anon. Perhaps you should have your reading comprehension skills checked. I was saying that the question she is asking ABOUT is ridiculous when asked in the context I described. The OP did not ask the question in quotes ...she asked WHY people ask it.

Hazeldove makes a good point about how some who ask that could be at a crossroad in their beliefs. But I stand by my answer because it's a question I see a lot of "newbie" atheists ask because they think it will "trip up" christians. Just like so many christians ask absurd questions like "why don't you (atheists) go around just killing people and stealing things and whatever since you say there is no god."
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Well excuse me, roach. Not everyone is as perfect as you apparently are. Forgive me for not measuring up to your standards, for I am but a lowly, stupid idiot.

Whatever.
    Anonymous

• Well, it might not necessarily be the same people doing that. But, I think it's reasonable to question whether God exists. We innately know He would want to protect us and the whole of His creation, so it's reasonably puzzling to see that he allows any suffering at all, let alone the huge degrees of suffering we take for granted these days. Many (not all) expect God to be a soft touch, happy to please them and really do THEIR bidding not their own. Hence, why some don't recognise as sins at all what is mostly acceptable behaviour to wider society (sexual immorality, lying, thieving, drunkeness, idolatry, violence,...).
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 8:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Actually a huge problem with AMERICAN religion is that most do not see it as a duality. They fail to see the good and evil in the religion. Honestly, take a poll. Ask a group of American Christian's to describe God and see what response you get. Most of them will not say vengeful, jealous, or angry.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2009