Need some serious help with sauteing meat

Whenever I saute meat it always remains raw inside and I end up having to nuke it in the microwave. I don't get it. I pound the meat thin first, and saute over med. high heat for 2-3 minutes per side. Is there some secret to this I don't know about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• That's why I don't cook it that way. Try turning the heat down, so it has time to cook all the way through. Medium should be high enough. I don't cook anything over medium, and sometimes not even that high.
    Anonymous

• 2-3 minutes is NOT long at all. You need to cook it longer on both sides.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Whenever I am sauteing meat, it is usually in strips or smaller pieces (as for stir-fry or fajitas). You want to do the meat first because it takes just a little longer, then add the veggies or other items. I do mine on medium high usually simply because I don't ever cook on high heat.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Steak is really delicious sauteed with onions and mushrooms! Just cook your meat first, then add the veggies----with this, go ahead and take the meat out and put a tent of foil over it while the veggies are cooking. They are also good cooked with a little beer marinade-yummy!
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It sounds like the problem is that the outside is browning too much before the inside cooks. It could be your pan.

Also, take the meat out of the fridge 10 minutes before you start cooking it. Let the chill come off. It will cook more evenly.

You can saute very thick cuts of chicken like this:

Make a seasoned flour. Rinse and pat dry your chicken pieces (breasts or other boneless piece). Dredge them in the seasoned flour lightly. Shake off the excess and saute in olive oil. Lay them in a med-high pan for 2 minutes. give them a 1/4 turn for 2 more minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes, 1/4 turn for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate.

Add chopped onions and tomatoes to the pan, a little white wine, basil, garlic. Scrape up all the brown bits. Reduce to medium-low. Return the chicken to the pan, place it on top of the veggies. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, undisturbed. Moist! Serve with pasta.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• yum,ecodani I am adding this to next weeks menu,Maybe add chopped artichoke quarters also.Thanks

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• do not crown the pan!!
    also do not turn over until you see the juices coming up through the meat.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2082897_saute.html
    read this too. it should help
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2009